1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

"Professionals" running ads on CL - what's the deal?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by GlennW, Nov 20, 2013.

1. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

This is a syndrome, happens all the time. The guy who runs the ad looking for musicians makes a point that he's a "professional" in reference to his DAY JOB. Is that supposed to impress the people reading the ad? It makes me think the guy's a nerd or something, just because he mentions it.

A few weeks ago I started a thread about bailing before the audition. That guy was another "professional" in the ad, and when we spoke on the phone he said that everyone else in the band was a professional, and they used professional photographers, and didn't wear jeans, etc. What the ****? He was 57 on the phone, and in another ad he was a "40s professional." Professional jive ass.

I don't get it. Why do they specify they have "professional" day jobs when looking for someone to join their NON-gigging band?
  2. Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Maybe to emphasize that they're "working professionals" as opposed to "professional musicians"?

Don't let it get you so bent out of shape - my band rarely gigs, and none of us has a problem saying that we have "professional" jobs and that music is our hobby.
  3. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

To funny. Glenn, next time that happens, just say "great, lets see the contract and talk about my job duties, benefits, expenses and salary".
  4. nojj

nojj Guest

Just to be sure that we mercenaries don't call.
    He's obviously looking for a certain talent level for his 'hobby' band.
    Plenty of qualified folks out there who don't want a regular gigging sked.

Even a hobby band can choose to be properly represented.
    This includes a decent website, some good tunes, non-murky video,
    and if you HAVE to put Uncle Fred's camera phone shots up,
    put 'em in a fan section.
  5. mellowinman

mellowinman

I find a lot of people use word "the."

Really honks me off.
  6. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

I can understand that, but why can't they just say they aren't serious about gigging instead of saying they all have professional jobs?
    They could say, "We all have day jobs," instead.

It strikes me as weird.
  7. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

I've noticed this ever since I started watching CL, it's nothing new. What's also funny is most of these guys aren't "professionals."
  8. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Being the only guy in my band that is not a "professional", it means we have much less time to rehearse, have to clear job dates with everyone before we can accept them, Don't take jobs in places were we might risk getting into a situation that might have a negative effect on the "profession", that kind of thing.

There is also the fact that "professional" implies some measure of stability and sanity. I agree it is overused, but I'd much prefer to see "professional" than I would "flaky", "flighty", or "on parole but we can work around it".
  9. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Because they don't want to be bothered with auditioning immature, stupid, substance-addled, flaky, undisciplined sociopaths? Just a guess. No guarantee, but certainly narrows the field.
  10. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

+1.
    Yeah I know, and I've also noticed it on CL in my area too - so I don't think its something limited only to your area either. Oh, and yeah - I don’t like it either.
  11. nojj

nojj Guest

professional jobs is a euphemism for don't wanna play out a lot,it's past my bedtime.

The professional part could be that a certain amount of personal cash is to be kicked in
    to maintain stuff like the website,recording expenses, and pay the pro photogs and fluffers.
  12. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

That's a good point, I hadn't thought of that. Maybe they don't want a bunch of Slash/Sid Vicious wannabes showing up at their houses.

The "professional" thing just strikes me as pretentious, but I see your POV and it makes sense.
  13. ToneMonkey

ToneMonkey Supporting Member

He's just trying to find like-minded individuals and discourage people who aren't going to be a good fit from responding.

I always appreciate people who know what they want and are secure enough to ask for it. It saves everyone a lot of time.

One of the reasons I landed my current gig, is specifically because the other guys are college educated professionals (one has a Phd), they're married, have jobs, etc., etc. They made it clear during the auditions that the band is a hobby, but one they try to do well. They also know how to book the band, which is practically the first thing I ask about. They wanted someone who would more or less commit to this being their only project so they wouldn't have to turn down gigs because the bassist had other commitments. Fine by me. One band is about all I can handle. It feels really good to be playing with sincere decent dependable human beings my own age for a change.

As to lying about his age, that's another deal entirely.
  14. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

That's another trend I've noticed with men. (It's ok with women, it's what they do)

They beat around the bush about how old they are.

40s, 40-ish, a young 43, 50+

When did this crap start?

When we were kids it was, "6 1/2 goin' on 7." We WANTED to sound like we were older.

That was followed by a few decades when you'd state your age, how old you were.

Then you get past 40 and there's this tendency to blur the figure, like first digit is close enough. They should just say they've reached the Age of Denial.
  15. ToneMonkey

ToneMonkey Supporting Member

^^^ I usually say, "I'm 50-something, but usually pass for about 10 years younger. If it matters."
  16. tothemax

tothemax Supporting Member

That post does make sense, I don't think I want myself at 23 showing up for an audition at my house. My wife is still shakin' her head and she met me at 40... Not that I'd be an a$$ about it but my headspace is way different these days.

I'd be in that same slice of "professional" not that I'd post it in an ad. But I would make it clear that this is a part time "geezer" band looking to have a good time with the possiblity of some low impact gigs - due to jobs and family schedules (and not strickly for "geezer" members or setlist).

Hell, a lot of the kids are so much better technically than I ever was at that age, but getting a little "classic" input never hurts. At 57 I've gotten pretty open to a lot of stuff that I would have ignored when I was younger.
  17. mellowinman

mellowinman

I always say, "I look really young for 70, which is good, because I'm 50, and most people say I look about 30 to my face, but I'm happy to be 50, and don't think I can't still kick your ass."
  18. HolmeBass

HolmeBass

Fluffers? How come my band doesn't have fluffers?!? What great idea! I'm professional, I need to get into one of these bands, dang it.
  19. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

I'm thinking about saying I'm fifty-eleven, but a young and spry fifty-eleven.
  20. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    I always say "Ahm a perfeshional" in my adverts. I find it works equally well on dating sites or whenever someone at work questions me on my work progress.