1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Prog Wars : which bass player ?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Laudou, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Laudou

Laudou

As a big fan of classic 70s prog : I just want to know which bass player/band do you like the most ?

Imao, it is Yes, and Chris Squire. His technique is really unique.

How about you ?
  2. sven kalmar

sven kalmar

ray schulman
    fender p
  3. bggeezer

bggeezer Guest

Pete Trewavas from Marillion was pretty good though not often mentioned.
  4. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Greg Lake, Fender Jazz

Though ELP isn't my alltime favorite. King Crimson, yes... But he also played in that band but I dunno if on a jazz.
  5. dls59

dls59

Jon Camp, Renaissance (Ric) and Dave Hope, Kansas (P-Bass)
  6. Lester87

Lester87

John Wetton, one of the best P tones in rock.
  7. Meddle

Meddle

+1

Brilliant P bass tone on their records, really clever bass lines on music that is more complex than Yes's output for sure. :hyper:
  8. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Chris Squire was certainly the most influential for me as a young bassist and prog fan...and to this day I think the parts he played on those 1970s Yes tunes are archetypes of what a unique individual with a huge vision and unbound by convention can do with a bass.

But Schulman, Camp, and Wetton are also way up high on my list of favorite bass players.
  9. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Geddy. Maybe Rush is a little more mainstream that some of the mentioned bands, but he's a killer player.
  10. jphovercraft

jphovercraft

Yep!
  11. Laudou

Laudou

I believe also that Mike Rutherford on *luthier* ric is an excellent player, esen if he was so kind of shy... I mean, not as powerful as Geddy, or Chris !
  12. zfunkman

zfunkman

Yes, Chris Squire . . . and . . . Gedy Lee right behind him.
  13. Don Tony

Don Tony

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Epiphone,Hughes & Kettner & DiMarzio pickups
    Ray Shulman of "Gentle Giant" is AWESOME!! He also plays trumpet, violin, viola, drums, percussion, recorder and guitar.
    Jonas Reingold of the Neo Classic Prog Band "The Flower Kings" is outstanding.
  14. seang15

seang15 Supporting Member

+1 to Jonas Reingold! Never knew his name thanks :hyper:
  15. rmcfee

rmcfee

Ray Bennett was the killer bassist from Flash. Anyone know what he's doing now?
  16. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

I'll take any from this group ...

Chris Squire
    Greg Lake
    John Wetton
    Tony Levin
    Geddy Lee
  17. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Gary Weinrib
  18. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

It's so funny that it didn't even occur to me to mention Levin, even though he's one of my favorite bassists, and even though he's become almost exclusively a prog-rock player in the last 10 years...or 20 years...or 30 years...

I suppose the difference is that guys like Chris Squire and Ray Schulman and Geddy Lee and Jon Camp etc etc etc essentially did nothing but prog over the entirety of their careers...it's almost like that's all they could do, because they have such an idiosyncratic skillset.

Whereas Tony Levin seemed to come to it from a totally different direction: He's a schooled musician who immersed himself in Classical/symphonic work and Jazz before becoming a triple-scale session musician...and only after becoming fairly well established did he seem to gravitate towards prog-rock.

It's like Levin plays prog by choice; the other guys had no choice.

I'll probably get flamed for that. :bag:
  19. sven kalmar

sven kalmar

well ray schulman, had soem training in classical violin. he played guitar in the band before GG. later he has become a composer/producer i think. Id say the GG arrangements are so demanding that if you can play and compose stuff like that, you can pretty much do anything..
  20. stratovani

stratovani

John Lodge of The Moody Blues.