1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Progress?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by cousinofmurloc, Mar 28, 2014.

1. cousinofmurloc

cousinofmurloc

Hi I've been playing bass for 3 months and I just learned the bass solo of Calm Like A Bomb by Rage Against The Machine. And that's the most difficult thing I can play. Is this fairly good progress on the bass?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    After only 3 months, ANY progress is good progress!

3. Dougie1316

Dougie1316

That's great, especially if you are self taught. It took my around 3 months into my bass playing life to learn Crazy Little Thing Called Love so your doing perfectly well.

4. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

You are doing great! What next? Another song? That'll give you two. My point.......

..... spend some time learning how to play accompiment bass, i.e. follow the chords and composiing a bass line will let you play hundreds of songs. This will give you an idea of what I'm talking about. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNmSx6A_QxM&list=RD5m48kljEZ9k
    This will illistrate where he got his root and 5th, etc.
    Code:
    Major Scale Box. 

G|---2---|-------|---3---|---4---| 1st string
    D|---6---|-------|---7---|---8---|
    A|---3---|---4---|-------|---5---|
    E|-------|---R---|-------|---2---|4th string

You are way beyond where I was at 3 months.

Have fun.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. cousinofmurloc

cousinofmurloc

Thanks guys this is really encouraging, and yes I know more songs and plan on learning more and yes I am self taught.

7. HosMan

HosMan Los! Zum dritten Mal denn!

Cool! Don`t dare admit how pathetic I was at 3 months,sir. MalcolmAmos is talking pure gospel...you know that,right? Hell,I know that,but...

Try and work in some basic theory,like chords,scales,etc. Not the coolest part of learning the instrument,especially for self-taught hobby players(like me).Youtube vids were not around in 1997/98,my 1st go round,pray you never have to use a book!! :eek: :p

Most important:it should always be fun,challenging and keep your interest,IMHO.

Keep up the good work,RockStar! :bassist:
    HosMan