1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Project Question - Affinity or SX

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nomad_street, Feb 24, 2014.

1. nomad_street

nomad_street

I'm thinking of building a project with a jazz bass body and precision neck. I was planning on buying a jazz bass and then getting a maple neck from Warmoth or All Parts.

My question is are the Affinity basses complete crap or would the body be good enough quality to make a nice project out of? Would an SX be better? Does a normal precision neck fit those? I guess that's a lot of questions, but I'm sure you guys can handle it.

I'm planning on swapping out the pickups and electronics eventually. I'd like a one-knob fader between the pickups eventually, but I'd like something at least enjoyable to play until the project is done. Thanks in advance for any tips. :help:

2. bassbenj

bassbenj

I've got a re-worked Squire Pj 5er and the only regret in the project is that the Squier has an agathis body rather than alder or ash. It's a minor thing, if I were springing for an expensive neck I'd go with something from Rondo in alder or ash as the basic parts. Rondo even has a one piece body SX jazz bass for sale now.

http://www.rondomusic.com/andromediamnna.html

If I were springing for an expensice neck this one piece ash body would be my boutique choice to go with it. who knows you may like the bass as is, though it does have a jazz neck.

Since I'm a huge fanboy of wider P-bass necks I can understand where you are coming from. In fact, I've got an SX project of an SX P-bass body that has a jazz neck that I'd like to turn into fretless P-bass 5er.

3. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

I would get the SX, unless you're really, really jonesing for that burgundy mist on the affinity

4. KyleSerlington

KyleSerlington

i had trouble fitting an SX neck onto a warmoth body. you could probably fit an sx body to a warmoth neck but there will be a gap. maybe try a body from mighty mite because those as well as warmoth are built to fender specs. or just save up for a little while and get a warmoth body, believe me, they are worth it

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. nomad_street

nomad_street

I love that swamp ash SX. I'm just concerned with a Fender or Warmoth neck fitting properly. Small gaps I can deal with. Might get that SX just as a nice backup and see if I like the neck. Hard to beat that price.

7. Doctor_K

Doctor_K

On the newer Affinity's, some of the ARE Alder. My PJ was.

8. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

If I wanted to be sure it would line up with a Warmoth neck, I'd go with the Affinity. SX and Fender parts don't necessarily line up all the time.

That being said, if you wanted to build something from the ground up, I'd throw in on a Mighty Mite body. I grabbed an excellent blue-burst from Guitar Center while they were having one of their "15% Off Accessories" sales. That certainly saved me a few bucks. However, if you go this route, be sure to get a high-mass bridge. I've had two MM bodies and they are very light.

9. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

I recently purchased a MIM P-Bass neck (maple) off Fender's website.
    It fit perfectly on an Affinity body I had.
    As mentioned above, SX and Fender/Squier products may not be interchangeable.

10. Malak the Mad

Did you have to drill holes into the heel of the neck?

11. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

It came with every hole pre-drilled except the string tree hole. I drilled that one myself.

12. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Affinity is good; it's not complete crap. And compatible w/ Warmoth/AllParts/Fender/Squier.

SX is good stuff too but that' something you keep & just upgrade the electronics or hardware. Essentially you keep SX for the neck & body.

13. Malak the Mad

Another thing to keep in mind should you go the SX route; take a close look at the neck specs. Their Ursa 2's are a little wider at the nut. Also, their necks are much flatter than Fender/Squiers (e.g.: 14" vs. 9.5"-to-7.25"). Some people prefer a curvier board (like me), some like them flatter and others don't care either way.

14. nomad_street

nomad_street

Emailed with Kurt from Rondo today, and he said the body is not an exact match but he's heard people make it work with some shims. I think I'll head towards the Squier then maybe upgrade later to a Warmoth. Still might get the SX as a second option.

15. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

may i suggest a used squier j body in tb classifieds then a new warmoth or whatever neck. neck is the soul of the instrument. well there's no soul but get the body you want in the material you want, no matter the brand, & get the right neck.

16. gregmon79

gregmon79 Effectheadaholic Supporting Member

I must say, I was extremely impressed with the new Affinty P/J's when I picked up one up at a local GC. So impressed that I bought it 20 min later. IMO these are GREAT basses for the money. I bought it to mod it essentially. And I have swapped everything out except the pups, which will be on the way soon, and the body and neck. I was planning on swapping the neck out with a good maple/maple board/neck but the balance on the stock neck and the playability is really good so Im not in a rush to change it. But I think the newer Affinitys are very ideal for modding becasue of the price and simple fact that it is a really solid foundation to build off of.

17. Doctor_K

Doctor_K

Here is what I did with my Affinity PJ. Very upgradeable with standard parts.
    Stock
    [​IMG]
    Today
    [​IMG]