Promoting strategies other than Facebook?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Scooter09, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Scooter09

Scooter09

Okay, here is the deal. We have been utilizing Facebook for all our promoting needs, but we understand that the older crowd might not have Facebook. So we might be missing out on some potential customers.

We have our first show with our new band in less than two weeks and want to go 200% into promoting on this one so we can have a packed house.

What are some of y'all strategies when you are promoting for a show? We are open to any suggestions.

Let the ideas start flowing!!:hyper:

:bassist: www.clustafunk.com :bassist:
  2. BryanM

BryanM Supporting Member

Flyers in local record stores, music stores and coffee shops. Talk to as many friends in the local small business scene and see if they'll spread the word. Make sure you get mentioned in any local press, most "What's Happening Guides" will offer listings for free for your event. Get out to other shows and talk yourselves up a good bit, mention to everybody you see, casually but memorably, that you'll be playing a show. Karaoke if you're covers, work the scene if you're originals. Busk if you have to. The approach is different depending on the type of crowd you're seeking.
  3. bassphreak

bassphreak Supporting Member

I'm tasked with most promoting and marketing for the band. I just fell into it since no one else was doing it. Basically there are a few options:

- Facebook - you have that one covered - it works but only for a limited number of folks
    - Website - do you have your own site? Have dates, and other details on the site and push folks to it
    - ReverbNation - do you have a RN account? Anyone can access. Good for folks that have a computer but not on FB
    - Post in any local press (online and print)., I've identified the main places in my area
    - Work with the venue - make sure they are promoting and see what they need from you. I work it as a partnership. I send digital flyers, etc so they can post on their site/FB/RN profiles
    - Flyers - as mentioned above - post in convenience stores, music stores, diners, etc. Don't forget to post at the venue and all around.
    - Word of mouth - talk to folks. have them spread the word.
  4. Big Brother

Big Brother Supporting Member

The 35-54 demographic makes up almost 30% of Facebook users and has about 70% of the money. ;)

The problem with Facebook though is that only some of your fans will see your posts, they now want you to pay to post to your fan pages. A lot of people aren't even aware of this change.

Their heyday as a marketing tool is just about over and they are about to become Myspace II IMO, so be sure to diversify your marketing.
  5. bluewine

bluewine

You might want to have someone collect email addresses at the show and start building a mailing list to send out for your next show.

Blue
  6. DirtDog

DirtDog

Google Adwords
    Twitter
    Foursquare
  7. sleeplessknight

sleeplessknight Supporting Member

Call me old-fashioned, but my (main) band Soulphonic seems to get the most traction from this method. Granted, it's serious work COLLECTING those email addresses - I don't get a 'set break', because I'm too busy between sets scampering back and forth with a clipboard collecting folks' email - but we get to track who's opening what emails, if they're clicking on links, etc. I use mailchimp.com as they're free up to 2000 'list members', but there's other companies (Constant Contact is the big one) who provide similar services.

The band has a Facebook page because a couple of the younger band members insist on it, but I've never seen much traction from it other than a handful of personal friends of the younger guys. I leave the Facebook stuff to those who can decipher it, they're doing all the 'event creation' and photo posting and whatnot :D I work in IT for a 'day-gig' and I can't make heads nor tails of how to work them thar face-books... (god I feel so old just TYPING that...)
  8. Scooter09

Scooter09

Thanks for the the suggestions. I will definitely try getting emails at our next show!
  9. Big Brother

Big Brother Supporting Member

I do social media promotion for a living and agree with this in full. It doesn't come close to beating an 'old fashioned' e-mail list for this purpose.
  10. bwardmusic

bwardmusic

I make up mini-flyers. Four to a page. Cut them up and carry them around in a packet with a buffalo clip on them -- in your car, in your briefcase...leave them at local businesses and other places. Everyone I talk to gets one. I even go to the parking lot where the club is and put these mini flyers under the wiper blades of cars. Those people already know where the venue is and so that's one hurdle already overcome.