Promoting your gigs

Discussion in 'Ask Janek Gwizdala' started by Snarf, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Snarf

Snarf

Hey Janek,

I've got my first show in NYC as a band leader coming up in early July. I was wondering, when should I start sending out stuff to the Village Voice, NYT, etc etc.? I don't want to send it too early and risk it being lost and not published.

Thanks!
  2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

3. Snarf

Snarf

word, thanks
  4. janekbass

janekbass

Disclosures:
    Founder and CEO of http://videobasslessons.tv
    there is no set amount of time on promoting a show. It's all about being in contact with your fans and making them aware of your upcoming performance.

If this is your first show in NYC as a leader then there's a good chance that not too many people will have heard of you yet. This means that traditional media outlets like the VV and NYT won't do you any favors at all. Unless your gig listing is accompanied by a glowing recommendation by a writer at the publication, then it will more than likely be glossed over by the readers. This is nothing personal, it's just human nature.

Building your own fan base by having a website, mailing list, twitter, facebook, and all the other simple and mainly free tools that are available to us all these days is what's going to bring people to your show. And creating something unique in your performance that people haven't heard before and can't hear anywhere else will ensure repeat customers when you play subsequent shows.

I talk a lot about all these concepts in my new book that is being released in the end of July. Make sure you sign the mailing list at www.janekgwizdala.com so that you receive an email about the book launch as soon as it happens.

Have a great show,

Janek
  5. Register to disable this ad