1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Proper English question

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by line6man, Feb 3, 2014.

1. line6man

line6man

Occasionally, when I have a conversation with someone via instant message, I will want to type an exclamatory sentence ending with a digit number. For example, "I'll be back at 5!" In mathematics, a number with an exclamation point means to take the factorial of that number, so I usually put a space between the digit and the exclamation point, so that it will look proper to me, and not be ambiguous. (Even though most people don't even know what a factorial is.) Is there a proper way to express these kind of sentences in a clear way? I suppose something like "...five!" instead of "...5!" would be best, but what if I still want to use a digit instead of the word for the number? For that matter, is it improper to end a sentence with a digit?

It's been a while since I've studied grammar, but I don't remember ever being taught this. :hyper:
  2. bassinplace

bassinplace

I don't know a lot about math, but I know enough about grammar to say I'm pretty sure inserting a number in place of a letter is improper. If you're using it to refer to time then I believe to be proper you have to write it out in full, i.e., 5:00.
  3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

I learned to spell out any number under 10. For time of day, I would do as bassinplace, and write it out.

-Mike
  4. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

The AP Stylebook says you should spell out any number less than ten. The AP Stylebook is the standard for American Journalists. I don't know if it would apply to your situation.
  5. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Supporting Member

"I'll be back at five o'clock!"

Although o'clock is a shortened version of "of the clock" I think it is generally accepted as proper.
  6. line6man

line6man

I'm not just talking about things like the time of day. Other sentences arise, as well. For example "****! Look on page 391!" Or "You only sent me 3!"
  7. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

Written prose is not mathematical notation, so there's nothing improper about punctuation after a digit. No one is going to mistake your sentence for an equation.
  8. ZenG

ZenG

Is there a number for "umpteenth"?
  9. zortation

zortation Distant relative of Arthur 'Two Sheds' Jackson Supporting Member

2 + 2 = 5, if you use really big twos.
  10. Duuuuuuuuuude

Duuuuuuuuuude

"I'll be back at 5:00!"
  11. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

In any academic writing, this is correct. It adds clarity to any writing, and therefore I recommend it to you...especially since the OP is asking for a way to enhance clarity of communication.
  12. fmoore200

fmoore200

Why do you yell so much? :bag:
  13. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Supporting Member

That could be construed as 5:01. (0!=1)
  14. ShredderMaximus

ShredderMaximus

Easy, stop any and all communication with everyone and move into the mountains. Problem solved.
  15. Tegzsa

Tegzsa

Try

"Forsooth, I shall return at the second bell of the dog watch!"
  16. line6man

line6man

It depends on the context. For example, if you were a teacher who got an email from a student, asking why he/she didn't get credit for a test problem, it would look a bit silly if you said "That's a 1? It looks like a 7!"
  17. line6man

line6man

18. knumbskull

knumbskull

Chicago Manual of Style, innit.
  19. tekdiver500ft

tekdiver500ft Supporting Member

Spell out the number, unless it is time, then use the standard time notation for your country/job. If you still want to use a simple numeral to designate time, perhaps adding the a.m. or p.m. would clarify for you.
  20. caligula

caligula

Why not simply use a full stop instead of an exclamation mark?

"I'll be there at 5." instead of "I'll be there at 5!"

Ambiguity maths/prose gone.