1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Proper finger chord technique ?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by M4verick, Dec 30, 2013.

1. M4verick

M4verick

I dislike chords on bass and cause of that i was usually ommiting learning them, but I started learning Fear of the dark by iron maiden and I feel like it's the good time to try to develop the proper chords playing technique.

I have a dillema with right hand finger playing 2 and 3 note chords. Right now I'm using (kind of) Geddy Lee style where i pluck my index and middle finger in upward motion attacking 2 strings with each finger - I like that cause it maintain the natural playing position of my right hand, but it feels weird when playing 3 notes chords (I'm creating 2 separate sounds with each finger plucking 2 strings at the same time).

On Yt videos I see that a lot of people are using pick style of chord playing (index + thumb attack on downward motion) and I know it's mostly a matter of style, but I would like to know, what is the "standard" proper technique of playing chords ?

I will greatly appreciate any help.
  2. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

I usually play the bass note with my thumb and the two higher notes with my index and middle. This requires moving the hand into a slightly different position, but it's no biggie. It depends on the chords you're playing, really. Most of the time I'm playing jazz, soul etc, so a lot of dominant chords. So it could be a G7, using my thumb on the G (E string, 15th fret) and then my two fingers on the F (D string, 15th fret) and B (G string, 16th fret)
  3. Rick Robins

Rick Robins

Dated video but when I read your post I remembered this guy doing a bunch of HOW TO books/videos back in the day. He's got a lot of chordal stuff going on in this clip. The tapping is chordal also.