Proper finger chord technique ?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by M4verick, Dec 30, 2013.

1. M4verick

M4verick

I dislike chords on bass and cause of that i was usually ommiting learning them, but I started learning Fear of the dark by iron maiden and I feel like it's the good time to try to develop the proper chords playing technique.

I have a dillema with right hand finger playing 2 and 3 note chords. Right now I'm using (kind of) Geddy Lee style where i pluck my index and middle finger in upward motion attacking 2 strings with each finger - I like that cause it maintain the natural playing position of my right hand, but it feels weird when playing 3 notes chords (I'm creating 2 separate sounds with each finger plucking 2 strings at the same time).

On Yt videos I see that a lot of people are using pick style of chord playing (index + thumb attack on downward motion) and I know it's mostly a matter of style, but I would like to know, what is the "standard" proper technique of playing chords ?

I will greatly appreciate any help.
  2. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

I usually play the bass note with my thumb and the two higher notes with my index and middle. This requires moving the hand into a slightly different position, but it's no biggie. It depends on the chords you're playing, really. Most of the time I'm playing jazz, soul etc, so a lot of dominant chords. So it could be a G7, using my thumb on the G (E string, 15th fret) and then my two fingers on the F (D string, 15th fret) and B (G string, 16th fret)
  3. Rick Robins

Rick Robins

Dated video but when I read your post I remembered this guy doing a bunch of HOW TO books/videos back in the day. He's got a lot of chordal stuff going on in this clip. The tapping is chordal also.