Proper placement for Pbass pickup in a non P body?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by your idol, Nov 11, 2012.

1. your idol

your idol

I always hear placement is everything in terms of that P Bass sound.

If one were to place a P Bass pickup in a non native instrument, say a Stingray body. How would you know where to properly place that pickup?

2. thiocyclist

thiocyclist Supporting Member

They are the same scale so it should be easy to find where the pickup goes, measuring from the 12th fret or the nut.

3. LanOsb133

LanOsb133

I am no expert but (from what I can recall) There is no set place to place a pickup. You can place them anywhere and you will get a different tone out of it (deeper and warmer towards neck and brighter towards bridge if I remember correctly) I believe the only thing you have to take into account is top and bottom. That has to be aligned (maybe) but "left to right" is all about what you want your bass to sound like.

Again this is if my memory serves me properly.

4. grrg63

grrg63

Couldnt you just measure from the bridge to the pickup on a Pbass and use the same measurement?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. your idol

your idol

I suppose as long as bridge placement and where the 12th fret are somewhat realitive between the 2 basses

7. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man. Supporting Member

I think it should be at a harmonic node. My 50's Squier P is ten inches past the twelfth fret on the node. A split P likely goes the same location. I'm ready for flaming so I can know the truth on this too.

8. your idol

your idol

YOURE ready for a flaming?

Im the one trying to make a P Ray--- theyre gonna burn me at the stake for my heresy

9. xander8280

xander8280

I dont know if it's the differing precision pickups but my jazz bass has a precision pickup in the neck position, it is a quarter inch close to the neck than a standard pbass. What I'm getting at is the tone is bassier. It's like a 70s compared to 60s jazz bridge position. Quarter inch is a big deal

10. xander8280

xander8280

I think the OP wants the exact measurement? I could bust out a yard stick if I had my basses at home, it is probably some where on here or online. Good luck! The position has ALOT to do with tone.

11. your idol

your idol

I wish this place had a like button. I really appreciate all the perspectives and info

12. deeptubes

deeptubes

+1

As long as they are the same scale length, the distance between 12th and bridge will be the same. If you want it a little fuller or beefier, closer to the neck. Less oomph, closer to the bridge.

13. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man. Supporting Member

Hmm, correct me if I'm wrong, but you said 'ray body. Sound to me it's a parts bass so it's fair game. If it's a real 'ray you're going to chop up then yes, you may get flamed, ;D

14. your idol

your idol

It a brand new SUB ray 5

Cheap enough to mod

The argument to modding a stingray type that ALWAYS pops up is " why did you get a stingray if you dont like active electronics/the sound"

It drives stingray purists crazy for some reason like one day they will have to play it.

I like the look and feel of a stingray... I HATE the sound it makes

15. your idol

your idol

Actually that would be rad of you. I just dont have a P to measure or i would.

16. Diogenes

Diogenes

The poles of an EA pickup (splitcoil p-bass) are about 11" from the 12th fret (on a 34" scale bass), similar to a single coil p-bass and the neck pickup of a j-bass.

17. your idol

your idol

Awesome. Thank you much. Now i just have to see how spacing is effected by this measurement. I hope its pretty spot on.

Its hard to do this working from nothing. Im going to have to figure spacing, route. Make a new pg template, wait for it and the hope i didnt screw anything up. Its aggrivating but its much easier with insight like this.

18. Diogenes

Diogenes

No prob mang... the spacing should work out just fine since the string spacing of most Fender inspired four string basses is pretty common. Really all you need is the basic measurements... in order to position the pickup(s) so that the poles are aligned, I just 'string' the bass with dental floss in lieu of real strings (it's easier to work with to get reference points) and use them as a guide to mark the correct position of the pickup(s). A few days ago I installed an overwound j-bass (neck) pickup in my OLP 'Ray copy (11" from the 12th fret) and it worked out just fine... a split coil p-bass pickup instead of the single coil j-bass would have worked just as well.

19. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

It seems that the "standard" P bass spot is where the center between the 2 pups is 11.5" from the 12th fret. However, I have Fenders from 10.5 to 12.5". Makes a difference, mostly in the bottom.

20. Diogenes

Diogenes

All four of my factory p-basses have that center you mention at 11 5/8" which equates to the 11" 12th-fret-to-pole for the EA pickup... splitting hairs, really.;)

What are the models of your Fender P-basses and their the differing distances? (I need to add those measurements to my database)

21. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Can't wait to see the finished bass :)