Proper Upright Scrubbins?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by MrLuckyStrikes, Nov 27, 2013.

1. MrLuckyStrikes

MrLuckyStrikes

Hey folks, I just picked up my first Shen Willow today, and I'm antsy to clean and polish it! I'm wondering what the good natural products for finger boards, body, and neck would be. I feel like the neck is a little starchy and could use perhaps the luthier's equivalent to baby powder to smoothen things up a bit.

Thanks for any help!

2. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Alcohol to clean the fingerboard and plain water for the rest of the bass. No baby powder!

3. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Disclosures:
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    Fine steel wool or 320 or finer sandpaper and mineral oil on the neck are good. I like boiled linseed or watco as well. Don't baby it.

4. tyb507

tyb507

Water is okay, but VERY sparingly. Use a barely damp cloth, and don't let the surface get wet. Saliva is also handy for pesky dirt.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike

Sulfuric acid on the fingerboard

7. RSBBass

RSBBass

Be careful with alcohol. Many bass finishes are alcohol soluble. A slightly damp cloth will take care of all but the worst grime. If you have a rosin buildup, alcohol can be carefully used on the strings.

I would not use anything more on the neck until you have played the instrument for a while. Natural skin oil and playing can smooth a neck very nicely. if it is too rough for that, talk to the place you bought it from.