1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Proper way to hammer on and pull off

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by SteC, Nov 18, 2012.

1. SteC

SteC

Hi, hope there isn't a thread already. I've been playing bass for about 2 years and am trying to focus on cleaning up my fretting hand technique.

I can hammer on and pull off well enough, but I was mainly self taught, so I'm looking for the safest, most-comfortable, and efficient (economy of motion) way to do them. Does the movement come from your arm, your hand, or your fingers?

I think I have a bad habit where I kind of twist my arm to do it sometimes. I worry about RSI's and stuff.

Any help, suggestions, links or exercises would be greatly appreciated.
  2. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

I use hammer-ons and pull-offs extensively, as they are a great way to add texture to a line and help you to develop your own voice as a player. I find hammer-ons to require much less effort than pull-offs. When doing a hammer-on, for me it's strictly in the fingers; when doing a pull-off, I find that I move my left elbow away from my body by about 2 inches as I'm doing it. This seems to add a bit of extra "torque" or something akin to that. But twisting your arm does seem unusual and could possibly lead to injury over the long-term.
  3. Piggy8692

Piggy8692

Whether its proper or not I'm not sure, but sometimes when doing a pull-off I'll pull up on the string. Pretty much plucking with your fret fingers. It is more movement, but can help the pulled-off note ring out better.
  4. SteC

SteC

Thanks guys. I'll keep working on it.