Proposed mod: Adding a momentary switch to a tremolo

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by millahh, Feb 3, 2014.

1. millahh

millahh Supporting Member

So for a while now, I’ve wanted a tremolo with a momentary switch, but couldn’t really justify the expense of one that has latching/momentary functionality for what, in all honesty, is just a really cool noisemaker. So...I’m modding an existing pedal to do it.

I’ve got an EQD Hummingbird on the way. My plan is to install a momentary switch between the latching switch and the bottom of the face (looks like it will fit, based on gut photos I’ve seen). I think I can just put jumpers between the lugs on the momentary switch and the corresponding lugs on the latching switch. That way, when the momentary switch is depressed, it will activate the circuit by mimicking the latch position. And when I want to hit the latching switch (which will necessarily result in depressing the momentary switch), it will work as normal since in that case the momentary switch will be redundant.

I fully realize this is silly and unnecessary, and will sort of be defacing an otherwise very pretty pedal. But is there any reason this won’t work, or anything I’ve overlooked?
  2. Vlad5

Vlad5 Chronic Knob Twiddling Tone Chaser Supporting Member

It should work, but another alternative would be to buy a 125B sized box and rehouse the effect in there with both footswitches side by side.

This way, whenever you wish to sell it, you can offer the un-altered original box in the sale.

This sounds like a cool idea, I think I may have to do this to mine!
  3. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Yes, rehouse! I want to do this now...seems like a cool idea to me. Also sounds like it work well for a diy dubsteppy wobble. Was that the thinking?
  4. millahh

I'm intrigued by the rehousing idea...though I might still go with the vertical arrangement, as my pedalboard has gotten somewhat cramped, so having them at the corners might be an issue if placed next to a higher-profile pedal (like my AMT wah).

The thinking behind this actually came from listening to Karnivool's "We Are":

I love the idea of using it as a composed part of a bassline, but trying to do something like that, hitting it twice in rapid succession with perfect timing, would be quite a challenge. And of course, momentary noise/weirdness is always a good thing, too.
  5. Vlad5

I was thinking something like this.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

There'd be plenty of room for 3 knobs, 2 foot switches, 1 toggle, 2 mono jacks, 1 power jack and even (I'm totally gonna do this) 1 stereo jack for expression control of the time knob.
  6. Denver Max

Denver Max

Would you be standing on the switch and using the expression pedal at the same time? That sounds dangerous haha
  7. jimmybc91

jimmybc91

I was going to suggest the Effect Bomb from Loop-master, instead of modding your pedal. But seeing it costs $40, I think you're better off modding! lol
    I am curious how this will turn out, I have had the same idea for an OC-2 I have, I don't really use it as an always on pedal for a song, just for some cool fills and such. Anyways, post results! sub'd!
  8. millahh

I wasn't even aware of the loop-master...it would certainly be an easier solution. However, board space is limited, and making superfluous mods to my equipment has become something of a hobby, so I'll probably still opt for the mod/rehouse direction.

For rehousing, I think my Joyo UD will make a good practice run.

Vlad, for the pedal you posted, you have no problem just hitting one or the other switch, even with a tall pedal next to it?
  9. Vlad5

Yep, all toes!

heh, no... the expression pedal would be used with the latching switch. you'd set the speed to wherever you wanted it and then use the momentary switch.

It would be fun to see someone try to use a momentary switch and expression pedal at once... and play... and sing. :p
  10. Denver Max

Denver Max

Not quite the same, but when I saw Wilco a few years back, at one point, Nels Cline was standing on his expression pedal and tapping other pedals with his other foot. Pretty impressive, I must say. And I'd like to know what brand expression pedal he was using that can support 150-175 pounds like that every night and not break.
  11. Vlad5

Nope, not at all. In fact, the 125B is taller than the 1590 (B, BB, etc) pedals (MXR Phase 90, ss/bs TAFM, etc...).
    For the one pictured, I set one switch taller than the other, which is what I'll do with the latching/momentary setup.

So for instance, in the below photo, the double switch pedal is taller than the two next to it, so no problem.
    Even so, there is enough room on either side to activate the switches no problem, like in the bottom photo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. Vlad5

I just purchased DPDT momentary switches and switching jacks for the two Hummingbird clones I have wired up.

I'm definitely gonna put em in 125B enclosures. Just got to figure out what to do with the enclosures I have drilled for the original designs, maybe squeeze some green muff clones in there or something.

Probably be in a few weeks though.

Thanks millahh for bringing this up! Such a good idea.

I used to own a Dr Scientist Tremolesence, so I know the momentary switch will be awesome with this too.
  13. millahh

Alright, the Hummingbird arrived today, and I'll order enclosures and switches over the weekend (this is my first time doing real work on pedals...Pedals Parts Plus is a good way to go?). I think i also need to get some appropriate drill bits.

Between the 125B being a higher enclosure, and the staggered heights as in Vlad's example, this should alleviate my concerns about things being too tightly spaced.

I'm glad to see that I'm not _completely_ out in left field for wanting to do this...
  14. millahh

That may actually be an issue...when I was researching doing this mod to a TR-2, I learned from Skrogh that the switch on all the Boss pedals is actually already a momentary switch, followed by a clock divider. So a conversion to momentary operation requires clipping/swapping a few resistors and capacitors, and retaining both functionalities, while not impossible, would have a fairly high degree of difficulty.

So in your case, I think the Effect Bomb might be a better way to go...or else pick a different octave pedal to mod.
  15. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

This a real cool idea.

A pedal is always easier to sell when it's original.
  16. Vlad5

Cool! Yeah, I love Pedal Parts Plus. They are a bit more expensive than others, but they have quality parts.

I went all cheapo myself and ordered through Tayda. By cheapo I mean less expensive, not necessarily less quality. If I want high quaility (switchcraft, neutric, etc..) I go with PP+. If I just want to get the job done, I go with Tayda.

FWIW, Tayda's enclosures are a few bucks cheaper than PP+ (not true Hammond, but still decent quality), and their shipping is usually cheaper too. But right now, I believe they are out of 125B enclosures.

I'm starting to consider a tap tempo mod too, but may just leave room for that and hold off since it requires a chip and such.

I don't want to get too ambitious here or I'll never get it done!
  17. Vlad5

Yeah, I fell in love with the EQD Dispatch Master, but not the white box (hate white boxed effects). So I painted it all black in anticipation of redoing the graphics. Now it is definitely not going to sell for what I paid for it. But then again, if I etch it up all cool, it may be worth more.

Of course, this assumes I'll ever sell it, which isn't too likely.

Yeah, the Hummingbird is such a beautifully executed design that I wouldn't want to mess with the original box at all, hence the suggestion to rehouse. And of course, more room to add switches in the 125B enclosure. Plus, you can also reset the jacks to top mounted!
  18. jimmybc91

jimmybc91

Bummer, thx for sharing this info! I may still be interested in doing so later in the future depending on the complexity of the MOD. If not, Effect Bomb it is and maybe the OC-2 under the board! :D
  19. millahh

Silly question...have you mapped out the DPDT is adequate? From the gut shots I've seen, the original is 3PDT.
  20. Vlad5

Well... I've actually cloned the Hummingbird, and am using a millennium bypass set up with mine, which requires only a DPDT switch, so adding another one means I just double up the connections.

However, since the original pedal uses the 3rd pole of the 3PDT switch to control the LED only, you could still use a DPDT momentary, you'd just not get the LED turning on and off when you engage the pedal this way.

Although maybe there is way do this, I don't know. But since with the DPDT momentary switch engaged the effect would only be on when you're actively stepping on it, having the LED light up when engaged would be moot. Your foot would cover the light anyway, so who cares if turns on or not.

That's my thinking anyway. Use a DPDT momentary switch, and forget the LED connection on the missing 3rd pole.