1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Pros that use cheap/pawn shop basses...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by raul, Jul 20, 2011.

1. raul

raul

tons of super cheap or rather, inexpensive basses can be found all over the good planet Earth and are ripe for the taking...who are some of your favorite pro players that have made recordings with cheap/inexpensive/pawn shop goodies as far as basses go? what recordings? did they and do they play them live? have fun...
  2. tkcthulu

tkcthulu

I guess Jaco got his bass from a pawnshop or garage sale or something, does that count?
  3. Ron Plichta

Ron Plichta Supporting Member

Geddy Lee's '72 Jazz Bass was bought from a pawn shop.
  4. Fassa Albrecht

Fassa Albrecht

Geddy Lee's '72 Fender was a pawn shop buy he bought for $35 (in interview, he said that this was about three weeks worth of wages for him at the time).

On the guitar front, I've seen Alex Lifeson playing a $350 Epiphone live.
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Johnny April from Staind uses Czech Spectors. Jeff Berlin uses a Dean signature model that doesn't cost very much. Oteil Burbridge has been spotted playing a MIM Fender Jazz before. And tons of players use Danelectros. And while not quite on their level of the showbiz ladder, your truly has been spotted onstage with Bowzer from Sha Na Na using these beauties:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  6. rllefebv

rllefebv Supporting Member

No matter how many times I see this bass, it never fails to bring a big ol' grin to my face :D

-robert
  7. Gasman

Gasman Supporting Member

Recently arrested, ex-Queens of the Stone Age bassist Nick Olivieri used a few MIM Fenders.

Duff McKagan recorded AFD on a relatively cheap Fender Jazz Bass Special.

Les Claypool has that one-string washtub bass thing.

Peter Hook used a Hondo Rick clone, a Gibson EB-0 clone, and a relatively cheap Yamaha.
  8. TC2112

TC2112

Matt Bissonette used an Epi Viola on the Yellow Matter Custard Beatles tribute w/ Portnoy, Gilbert, and Morse.
  9. pbass888

pbass888 Supporting Member

10. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

Tom Morrello's Arm The Homeless guitar is a pawn shop baby if I believe.

I know for sure Fat Mike of NOFX uses all sorts of cheap basses most notably Dean Metalman flying V's, Danelectro longhorns, a couple P bass copies/clones, and I think Squiers. Fat Mike is adamant about not buying expensive basses.
  11. IncX

IncX

pete wentz has a signature Squire?

lol
  12. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

HAD a sig. Squier and thank goodness that abomination is off the shelves.
  13. WhoDidTheElf

WhoDidTheElf

I don't get it...

There was nothing wrong with the bass, or at least the ones I played, aesthetically it may have not floated everyone's boat, but it wasn't an abomination.
  14. IncX

IncX

i cant believe i spelled Squier wrong! lol

im glad both pete wentz and his bass are off the shelves
  15. IncX

IncX

the red little emo bats didn't bother you?

ok... im a hypocrite, cause im the type of guy who wouldnt mind having little red pentagrams on my bass
  16. WhoDidTheElf

WhoDidTheElf

I don't care for the aesthetics, like I noted above, but the bass itself isn't an "abomination."
  17. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

Well I thought it was lookwise. Sorta like when his wife got caught lipsyching when the backtrack skipped on SNL. We all know she isn't the only one who does it but, come on if it's for SNL atleast use a new CD.

I also hate Pete Wentz with a passion. Why? I don't know. Just cuz I guess.
  18. WhoDidTheElf

WhoDidTheElf

Terrible reasons to hate his bass IMO...
  19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Me too! I so love that bass. It never fails to amaze everyone who sees the logo. People say the audience doesn't care about what you play? Bring in a bass with the Realistic logo and you'd be surprised!

:bassist:
  20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    20 years from now, Fallout Boy will reunite for the money and start playing state fairs and conventions, so at least you have that to look forward to.