1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Proud owner of a KSD Proto J 705

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pocketbass, Jan 10, 2011.

1. pocketbass

pocketbass

I have been doing a lot of research on this forum for this bass, but not a lot of people have anything good to say. However, it seems that there are not any recent opinions about this bass. I have to say now that this bass is great! :D Are there any other proud owners of this bass out there? Especially for the price, this might be one of the most underrated basses out there. Anyone agree?

2. bubinga5

bubinga5

yeah love em.. would lie to try the 5...got any pics?

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

OP, your opinion is the one that matters most! I got rid of some great basses because I listened to others instead of myself.

If you like it, great!

4. pocketbass

pocketbass

Not a great picture, here it is. White Chocolate baby! I'll try later to post a better one.

Attached Files:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Nice looking bass! Marcus likes them! (I guess...:bag:)

[​IMG]

:)

7. lostrings

lostrings

I recieved my KSD a few months ago in a trade with another TB'er and I have to say this is one fantastic bass. I love the electronics and the playablity of the bass. The slap tone is to die for and the fingerstyle tone is great also. I know many people have changed out the electronics on these basses, but I happen to like the stock offering. Also, I have to say this bass plays very good with very low action and no buzz. Overall I give this bass the thumbs up and I really enjoy having it. Here are some pics...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. pocketbass

pocketbass

Here are some better pics.

Attached Files:

9. pocketbass

pocketbass

I was pretty close on getting that natural finish instead. I like the p/u cover. Definitely looks more like a vintage. Btw, what kind of case/gig bag do you use? These basses are super long.

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    What's the weight on yours? I believe the biggest issue was the weight.

11. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP Supporting Member

I had one for a while that was really great. Set up well, and had a nice low B.
    It was a 605 in a burst finish.

I only sold it because the string spacing at the bridge was too wide for my tastes (19mm I think). I don't slap or anything so....

The build was nice, but it was a little heavy. Didn't bother me, but I could see it bothering others.

12. pocketbass

pocketbass

I haven't weighed the bass yet, but I will do that when I get back home tonight.

When I was testing out these basses, I also tried the natural swamp ash 705. I did notice it was quite heavier than my white alder KSD. I always thought that swamp ash is lighter than alder.

Also the sound of the swamp ash was thinner and not as thick and round as my white alder KSD. I had another bass player try it out at the store, and he said the same thing about the weight and the sound. However, I know that with imports you can have 2 of the same bass and they won't sound the same.

13. bal704

bal704 Supporting Member

I loved my 605. Sold it because it was stupid heavy.

14. pocketbass

pocketbass

What type of case/gig bag did you use? I wonder if your 605 was as long as my 705.

15. dpbass613

dpbass613

I had the oppurtunity to play a four and five, sounded good, played good, but for whatever reason it just didn't feel like the construction was solid on the ones i played. But good bass for the price point.

16. thomasjbass

thomasjbass Supporting Member

I just got one of these basses a few days ago and I love it. The weight for me isn't an issue because I'm a big guy, but I did change the strings out for my preference. I put flats on it and it just hums so well. Let me know what you find out about the case pocketbass, I have the same problem. Unless I find a case it fits in, it is going to be a studio bass only.

17. JoshuaTSP

I had a "padded" soft-hardcase from Brooklyn Gear for mine.

18. pocketbass

pocketbass

Did it fit well? Was it snug or was there a litttle room left? Sounds like you got the case with the bass. Mine did not come with a case. I have a gig bag (Road Runner bag from Guitar Center), but it fits pretty snug.

19. JoshuaTSP

It had a lot of extra room. It had the velcro neck loop....to prevent it from sloshing around in there.

The bass did come with it.....I'm not even sure you can find them anywhere anymore? :confused:

You could contact D'Andrea......see if they have cases?
    http://www.smithbassforums.com/showthread.php?t=1280

20. pocketbass

pocketbass

I agree. The weight is not an issue with me too beacuse I am also a big guy. Also, I think subconsciously the heavier the bass the more full and robust it sounds. That's just me, I guess.

I do have a Road Runner gig bag for my Fender P bass and the KSD fits very snuggly. I just emailed D'Andrea about recommended cases. I'll post something here as soon as I get a reply.

I noticed you are in Corona. I'm in north OC. Where did you pick up your KSD?

21. lostrings

lostrings

D'andrea sells hard shell cases for the KSD basses. I contacted them awhile back about this and they told me they ran about $89.00. I just haven't gotten around to ordering it. I am not sure what the case looks like or the quality. It would be nice to see a picture and some specs on the case.