1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

"Provided backline" stories

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by allegro, Oct 30, 2013.

1. allegro

allegro

So I had a rehearsal last night for a one-off party gig with a couple bands merged together. Practicing at a church, we were told explicitly to not bring anything except instruments - drum kit on site and mic'd up already, bass amp on site, monitors all set, etc.

Rolled up with low expectations and managed to be disappointed even by those when I saw this beauty sitting there, straight out of my nightmares:

[​IMG]

:crying:

For those of you unfamiliar, this is one of the worst bass amps Behringer has produced. It starts farting out on low Es and Fs with the master at around 60%.

Better yet, it was miced up with a SM57, dangled down from the handle - so the speaker was pointing at the SIDE of the mic... cause, y'know, off-axis rejection isn't a strength of the 57 or anything...

Both guitar amps were Line 6s too, of course!

Anyone else got any good "Nah, it's cool, just use our gear" stories? :)
  2. kikstand454

kikstand454 Supporting Member

That's horrific.
  3. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Rapco DI box duct taped together. I would love to tell you this has only happened once.

This is why when I was a pro I always had a rig in the band truck anyway. And now as a fill-in (primarily) I bring a rig in my own vehicle anyway. And my gear box has several non-rig options if the whole "no stage volume rule" is in place.

But mostly GK and Ampeg rigs are the provided backline rig of choice for many companies. I can work with either.
  4. bass geetarist

bass geetarist Supporting Member

I only had one experience with a "backline", and it was pretty brutal. I think the soundtech basically just borrowed whatever small practice amps he could from friends (it was a small restaurant that was just toying with the idea of hosting bands), and hooked them up to a mixer, which he plugged most of our band (vocals, keys, drum machine, bass:mad:) into. The overall sound was awful and certainly a mess from the "stage" perspective.

It didn't help that he forgot to unmute the mixer channel that my bass was running through for the entire first song...
  5. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

My backlines have almost always been Ampeg rigs, good gear. For those events we always send out a stage plot with requested gear, Ampeg, SWR, or GK. It seems the sound companies around here use Ampeg as a standard.

[​IMG]

We played a big corporate event in San Diego last year and were told that there would be no backline and we were to bring NO amps. Everyone went direct.

[​IMG]

Thankfully the sound crew was competent and the monitors worked well. We even had huge teleprompters that had our lyrics. That was a good thing because we had to learn a couple of songs just for this event.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plus we were on the big screen. :p

[​IMG]

Yes, it was a cushy gig. But somebody had to play it. :smug:

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
  6. allegro

allegro

Whoa - it's CRAZY how empty that stage looks.

Doesn't look right at all!!
  7. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

That gig was all about quick transitions during the presentations. As soon as we finished our bit there were a half dozen crew members grabbing our stuff and moving it off stage. Amps would've made for less convenience. I kind of like the "clean stage" look.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
  8. My name is Mudd

My name is Mudd

I was about to post the exact same comment.
  9. TheOxRocks

TheOxRocks

Nahhh. I'm too much of a snob when it comes to my personal preferences. Even if there IS a back line, I ALWAYS insist on using my own amps. I don't want to have to GUESS how I'm going to sound. I want to KNOW.
  10. Up the dose

Up the dose Supporting Member

This may piss off the sound person and result in a poor mix or shortened set. I feel the same way, but I will try to talk to the sound people beforehand and let them know so there is no ruffled feathers before a gig .
  11. thedudebrah

thedudebrah Supporting Member

My old and longest running band often opted to bring all of our own equipment when we knew no PA support would be provided and on those occasions we were often the best sounding band on the bill due to the quality if our equipment. We were a punk band so things were a bit different.
  12. PipeRain

PipeRain Operator Of Pointy Basses Supporting Member

Hey, that IS my rig... :bag:

Well, for now anyway...

Honestly though, I think I'd be a tad disappointed if I was told to show up somewhere and that a full backline would be provided and that was what I got.
  13. Timmah

Timmah

That's my church's rig, too. *shudders*
  14. PipeRain

PipeRain Operator Of Pointy Basses Supporting Member

It's a sad state of affairs when my BX-1200 sounds miles better than my church's "House amp". Which is also a Behringer.
  15. basshack

basshack

Now take out the amp, cause it blew up and cut the top off. Pull the fur back over the top and staple it down. Plug the output of your Glock Blue Soul into it and your new Jule Monique tube pre into the Glock and connect up your Dingwall AB2 and........it doesn't sound much better than when it had it's own amp in but that's what I have been dealing with in our temporary Church while ours is being renovated. Next week it's back to having space again and I can bring my L212 again.

:hyper:
  16. Darkonar

Darkonar

I have good memories of that amp, practiced and gigged with it for a year and it always behaved well. Never had bad farting unless I pushed it really hard, and I played a 5 string in a black metal band with loud drummers. I ultimately sold it to a friend who later took my place in that band, he still have it and it's still healthy and kicking. :)
  17. rust_preacher

rust_preacher Supporting Member

There was company party where the other band insisted they bring the amps. House FOH and monitors. They came from a bigger town, see. I told them i could bring mine, as I lived so much closer (At that time I had a LM II on an Aggie DB212). No dice, so I had to play a 100 W Fender Rumble that, due to lack of monitor channels had to be cranked to distortion...
  18. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

provided backlines suck. end story.

The only time I've ever thought about walking off stage mid set was because of a provided backline. Seriously go to meetatsundown.com and look through the gig photos, I bet you can pick out really quickly what gig it was on.
  19. RDUB

RDUB Supporting Member

I've had overall very good luck with provided backline and sound systems. I had one gig where everything was provided, except that they forgot to load a bass rig. Fortunately, my monitor had 2 15's and a horn, and I was standing close to the drummer who had a similar monitor atop a 2 18 sub box for his monitor system. I had a great bass sound!

Did a Canada day gig once at a local park with a rock band. The organizers told us not to bother with any PA gear - they had it all covered. I sent them our stage plot, with mic and monitor requirements, and they said all is good.

We rolled up and found our 'stage' was a couple of plywood sheets on the ground, the mics were Realistic, from Radio Shack, the mixer was a 6 channel DJ job, and the speakers were some kind of no names with one ten and a horn - two for mains, and two for monitors. (We were in the habit of using a bigger and better system for our rehearsals!) We swapped out the vocal mics, (because I never travel without my mic box), managed to keep our stage levels down enough to let the vocals be heard out front, and made it through unscathed.
  20. NWB

NWB

What are you complaining about?

That Behringer has a built-in Dynamizer! It says so right at the bottom of the speaker.

How much better can it get than that?:D

Respect the power of the Dynamizer!:p