1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

PRS factory Grainger bass strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by generation zero, Jan 7, 2014.

1. generation zero

generation zero

Got a few questions for anyone "in the know" on the factory strings that came on my PRS Gary Grainger 5.

The hang tag says the gauge is 43 - 127. I've only ever seen strings available in increments of 5... like say 45 - 130... are these custom wound to those exact sizes for a reason? What gauges are the other 3 strings in the set? And where could I get more strings that taper down in size to the bridge saddle like these do? I couldn't find the PRS bass strings on their website site anywhere for purchase...

Additionally, I tune my bass down a half step, and then the low B and E strings a whole step from there... so my tuning low to high is G# C# G# C# F#. What gauge strings should I use to acheive roughly the same string tension the bass had when I got it, tuned to standard B E A D G tuning? And where can I get those with the bridge end taper winding, since that is the string set I really need to be using?

You can kind of make out the taper thing I'm talking about in this pic, it's only on the three lowest strings:

[​IMG]

Any answers would be appreciated... Thanks!
  2. Toptube

Toptube

it's possible the gauges are like that, to achieve balanced tension/feel on the strings.

As far as the taper core/exposed core at the saddles, several brands offer that.

If you want to try and match the guages/feel exactly, you might have a look at Circle K strings. They have tons of guage options, allowing you to build up a custom set in just about anyway possible. They also do taper core/exposed core on most of their larger strings.

*do the strings on your PRS have silk at the tuner end? If so, what color?
  3. pfox14

pfox14

You can get just about any gauge string set you want from bassstringsonline.com
  4. jschwalls

jschwalls Supporting Member