1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Pt. 8: fEarful™ 12/6 & 15/6 enclosure designs - FREE!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Chef, Nov 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
  2. rpsands

rpsands

First? :p Recex screws rule!

Adding some useful info here:

I talked to the guys at DigModa, and the 1050 is definitely available direct for around 800 bucks. This is really tempting.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to load one of those on the back of an existing fEarful? Should you recess it some, or build a little chamber for it so that you can get the fins inside, or what?

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'm digging this combo so much, I just had to post this pic again here in Part VIII. :cool:

[​IMG]

4. Sigurd

Sigurd

It can't be "The Beat Goes On"...that was the LAST one. :bag:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. WCunha

WCunha

I believe I saw Vlad's 15/6 build in the Wiki that it looked like he drilled holes in all the bracing. What was that for? Weight savings?

Wade

7. dug dog

dug dog

That was an older version. If memory serves, the braces were wider and had holes in 'em to save weight. Turned out to be a bit of a pain to do all the drilling, so yer man changed the design.

8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Nice. Yet again. Back is the incredible! The fEarful! Bass...How low can you go?!?

9. WCunha

WCunha

Got it! No holes except for the port divider.
    Thanks

10. Sigurd

Sigurd

If one were to find it NOT to be a pain to do all that drilling, is it still advisable? Can I drill the 1.5" braces? What purpose do the holes in the port divider serve?

11. thudfromafar

thudfromafar

I'm really interested in those thingamajigs. Hopefully someone works one out!

12. rpsands

rpsands

If I can get my deal with Putnam worked out to convert my M80 into a pedal preamp with an integrated high pass filter, and I can find some good method of installing it, I may do it.

I believe Unclejam or someone with Uncle in the username was already committed to buying one though, so I imagine he'll be first :)

13. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

Anybody in the Seattle area have any gigs coming up where they will be playing the 12/6 or 12/12/6? I would like to be able to hear one at some point. Feel free to shoot me a PM with time & place. Sounds like it would be a good project. The 12/12/6 looks like a killer!

14. CDweller

CDweller Supporting Member

Now that's just too sezzy! BTW- normally I don't post the pictures associated with a quote, but again...
    sezzy!

15. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Someone needs to dust their ports... ;)

16. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

a 12.6 on a 12.sub is killer ... Two 12.6's is killer to... to those I can attest.

17. mytmous

mytmous

Sheesh Tom. Were you playing a gig at a construction site? Those ports are FILTHY!
    :D

EDIT: Now I see that I was only 15 minutes late behind BurningSkies with that joke.

18. knuckle_head

knuckle_head

Disclosures:
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    Uummm.....

;)

19. greenboy

greenboy

Disclosures:
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Jeez, you guys are gonna start suggesting see-through plastic cab covers next, like is on all the furniture at Grandma's house.

When I've dumped a plate amp onto the back of something I've just used rubber cab feet for each of the screw holes to stick out for protection, and no recess. I thought about putting a runner on each side but it just worked fine the way I had it. Make sure you use gasket tape.

I'll have to look at what you are talking about though.

20. rpsands

rpsands

Lol. The digmoda fins look like they stick out quite a ways. I'm a little worried about it getting dinged up. But hell, it's cheaper than a 500 w @ 8 ohm micro amp, so that's awesome. Think it winds up being 500w / 250w @ 8 ohms @ 1%thd. Worth noting that the power figures are measured at 1% thd, so if you measured them like a power amp I think they'd probably be closer to 400w/200w.

Still, it's 12lbs for a ton of DSP and lots of power. 825 is the price btw, Unclejam I think quoted that before.

http://www.advanced-loudspeakers.co.uk/pdf/9.pdf

21. rpsands

rpsands

What do you mean going internal to a cutout? Like mounting it from the inside, with a cutout to access the stuff?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.