1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Public Service Message: Dog Urine + Air Conditioner Coils = Bad

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Diggler, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Diggler

Diggler

Consider this a public service message... this is one of those many things that no one ever told me and I just found this out the hard way.

Male dog urine will completely corrode away the aluminum cooling fins on an air conditioner unit. I mean completely, into a disgusting powder you can wash away with your hose and have nothing left.

If you have male dogs around, make sure you have a fence around your air conditioning unit or you'll be replacing it.

:mad:

There, someone told you before you find out the $$$ way.

2. mike phillips

mike phillips

3. Fontaine

Fontaine

thats all u have to say!!

cool avatar...

wow....but thanks for the heads up lol.

4. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Back when I did residential HVAC I used to get into arguments with people wanting coils replaced under warranty for this reason .

I would simply tell them to smell it and watch them vomit from the strong dog piss smell .

they would shut up .

If you have an all aluminum coil dog piss can cause all your freon to leak out as it will eat tiny holes in the tubing as well as eating all the fins off.

If you have only lost say 20% of the coil area +- you could simply cover the hole/damaged area to not give the air a place to bypass the rest of the intact coil

You'll lose some efficiency and maybe a little capacity .

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ibnzneksrul

ibnzneksrul Supporting Member

You should try using the pee for removing the mosquito from your eyeball.

7. TheButler

TheButler

funny the ads at the bottom of the page are for air condtioners :D

8. Diggler

Diggler

I just didn't realize that dog piss was made from the same stuff as Alien's blood.

9. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Disclaimer: I am no scientist, and barely have any high-school science. I state the following as I recall reading it.

Aluminum is weird stuff. It doesn't exist in nature in the form we know it. It's bauxite ore that it comes from IIRC. Aluminum has a molecular coating at its surface that essentially resembles saphire. If it were not for this layer, the whole mess breaks down rather rapidly back into its more stable natural state...basically a powder. Usually it's self-healing. I suspect that urine must chemically affect this protective layer, destabilizing it, and then the whole mess goes rapidly to the zoo from there.

10. FL Knifemaker

FL Knifemaker

When you replace the coil, put the old one out in the yard away form the AC unit :) Being in Florida and having no AC for one day sucks! My dogs chew on and tear up the lawn sprinklers :confused: :rolleyes: That's usually a cheap, quick fix though.

11. FL Knifemaker

FL Knifemaker

Any acid will eat aluminum rather quickly. I use Ferric Chloride to etch some of my steel blades. It's the same acid used for making PC boards, etc. If you put a piece of aluminum in it, say the size of a quarter it will fizz up like an alka seltzer and be gone in minutes :)

12. Chunk-O-Funk

Chunk-O-Funk

Wow, weird and amazing stuff dog urine is.

I wonder what else it can do?

13. Basshole

Basshole Banned

I sincerely hope nothing else, and nothing useful. Who wantstahafta deal with dog wee? :p

14. Diggler

Diggler

It can stink and kill grass. And in an odd twist, although it can eat through aluminum, the supply never seems to run out, and it must not burn if the dog just lets a little go and then holds the rest for later.

Weird.

15. Chunk-O-Funk

Chunk-O-Funk

:D
    True, just ask Nanook. (Frank Zappa)

16. Chunk-O-Funk

Chunk-O-Funk

Ahhh, see. It can be used as a natural weed killer. Plentiful and cheep.

Just don't have the kids roll around in the back yard.

17. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Try having your cat p*ss on your laundry..
    There is no substance on earth as nasty as cat pee.
    My jeans are now going through the third rinse cycle as I type this.. cat may or may not be as well. I'm not tellin.

18. Diggler

Diggler

Honestly, I called my guitar player to tell him; he has the French Mastiff that is our band's mascot (as seen on our website). Everything about that dog is caustic... his slobber will etch car paint.

I said that we need to make a book, probably a bathroom reader type, that outlines little factoids and life warnings like this that no one tells you.

Don't let the dog piss on the air conditioner fins.
    Flush your hot water tank once a year.
    Clean your indoor air conditioner coils once a year.

Common sense stuff for those who have owned a house for a while, but I've only owned since 2000 and I'm finding this stuff out by trial and error. Ounce of prevention/pound of cure, as long as you know what to prevent.

19. RWP

RWP

There must be something here for the Myth Busters. :p Funny, there have been many threads here about dog pee on different things. :eyebrow:

20. Diggler

Diggler

I came home drunk from the bar years ago... SO drunk, that I got sick. And mistook a freshly laundered basket of clothes for the toilet and puked my guts out onto the still-warm clothes.

21. Basshole

Basshole Banned

LMAO. Sure it ain't spray? Is it a male? Almost doesn't matter if it's spray or pee if it's a male sometimes, though. If they're not fixed it can be wicked regardless.