1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

pulled the trigger on a 1977 Pbass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dfinnegan71, Jan 7, 2013.

1. dfinnegan71

dfinnegan71

Thanks to all you guys talking me into it on a previous thread entitled "pricing a vintage pbass"
    So I went in today plugged it in again, played for awhile and said, "yup I'll take it"
    Here's a pic of it, and a close up of the checked body. Nice Patina as it should be.

2. dfinnegan71

dfinnegan71

Oh ya here are the pics:

Attached Files:

3. dfinnegan71

dfinnegan71

not so blurry side angle and headstock shot:

Attached Files:

4. FunkJunk96

FunkJunk96

That wear looks awesome on it! It's gotten some use for sure.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. audioglenn

audioglenn Gold Supporting Member

Congratulations! Great looking bass!

7. j.kernodle

j.kernodle Supporting Member

congrats! I posted in that thread. glad you're happy with the bass. I miss my 77 p. sold it to a friend but at least I get to visit it every once in a while. :)

8. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59

LOVE your bass. It has the cool battle scars that give it character. :)

9. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

10. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

I like it, if you ever tire of it you wouldnt need to say much about it to convince me to buy it :D

11. Kirk Bryant

Kirk Bryant

I was wondering if you wouldn't mind telling us what you paid. ? I recently paid $2500 for an all original 71' P bass. Its a very nice player with light wear SB body and a factory original A or Jazz neck, its very light as well. I think it's special and I own 6 P's right now and have owned dozens over the last 40 yrs.

12. dfinnegan71

dfinnegan71

Good to know A-Step... and Kirk I dont mind at all. I paid $1050.
    It's all original with the only quirk is that the original pickups were taken out, Dimarzio's put in and played awhile, than the original's were put back in. That's all we know for sure. It's been played like a MoFo, we know that too. Lots of character and real road wear. I dig it.

13. Pet Sounds

Pet Sounds

Nice '77; nice score for the bucks. Kirk, don't feel bad about paying more for your '71. The early '70s pieces fetch more $$$, as I'm sure you know.

14. meatwad

meatwad

You got a fantastic deal, a player definitely worth hanging on to.

15. the art guy

the art guy Supporting Member

That's a very fair deal, even in today's market. Some of the sellers on ebay should take notice of what these things are actually going for these days. (That is, if they ever want to sell their basses) ;)

Nice bass!

16. dfinnegan71

dfinnegan71

Thanks guys, I will be holding on to it for a long while. At least that's what I am telling myself. I plan on giging with this as my main bass in the function band and the bar room country cover band I play with. Good times!!!:hyper:

17. dfinnegan71

dfinnegan71

So i thought I would post an update and just re-affirm our love the Fender the P-bass. I have 5 gigs on the '77 I picked up a little while ago. I played last night with a 6 member function band I'm a new member of. I am the youngest player at 41. So there is alot of experience on stage here. This was my 4th gig with this band, first time they heard me with the P-bass. The key-board player comes over before sound check and says "Wow, a Fender Precision, that's the best bass money can buy isn't it?" "They only make those oversea's now-a-days." I didn't want to correct him so I said, "This is a USA made P from 1977, I think you'll like how it sounds." At the first break the Sax player says to me, "I can hear you perfectly from over there and you aren't even in the PA are you?" I said, "no, this bass just cuts through mix really well." At load out when it came time to get paid the band leader says," you sounded really good tonight, keep it up. You must be practicing alot." I just said "Thanks"
    So the day before, I played an Apres'Ski at Sunday River on Friday. This is my regular cover gig. We had a monster drummer who is probably the busiest guy in the biz up our way, play drums with us for the first time. Our regular guy has the flu. I was so humbled when he said after the 3rd song. "Dude, I love your tone!" I hold his opinion in high regard. Just re-affirmed everything I already knew. SO I LOVE THIS FENDER!

18. Bone

Bone Supporting Member

I too love those crappy old 70s Fenders. I also get Honorable mention
    for ugliest couch

Attached Files:

19. dfinnegan71

dfinnegan71

HOLY S!%$ Bone, I had that same couch in my first Apartment in college!! Same exact couch....I left more than a few dna samples on dem dare cushions:D And My P is the same as yours second from left.

20. itsnottruerufus

itsnottruerufus

I played that exact same P and fell in love with it. I felt like it had a A neck as well (definitely wasn't a baseball bat like the 72' I played a while back) Congrats on grabbing it man, you saved me a whole lot of saving for it

21. sbpark

sbpark

Nice bass. I have the exact same one (it's a '76) with a rosewood fretboard for sale right now. Reading this is making me not want to sell it!