Pulling knobs off a squier

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by sonicblue62, Jan 23, 2014.

1. sonicblue62

sonicblue62

Hey all,
    I would like to switch out the knobs on an Indonesian squier. There are no screws, so I thought I could just pull them off, but those suckers won't budge. Should I just pull harder? I don't want to break anything.

2. j@zz_b@ss

j@zz_b@ss Supporting Member

You have at least a 50% chance of pulling the post right out of the pot. I bought a 5 string Squier Jazz to see check out 5 strings w/o paying a bunch of money. I wanted to upgrade to a blend knob instead of 2 volumes and they were stuck too. Cheap upgrade and they were crappy feeling pots anyway...

3. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

Normally, if they have a set screw, use a small hex key to loosen it, if they have a slotted screw, use a small screwdriver to loosen it.
    Since they have nothing, go to the next step.

Next, take two big spoons and (optionally) a piece of cloth. Lay the cloth around the knob, slide the tips of the spoons under the knob from opposing sides, then gently push down on both handles at the same time to unseat it off the pot shaft.

[​IMG]

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Every Squier I have seen used split shaft pots, the knobs should pull right off. Wrap your pliers in tape so they do not mar the knobs and give them a good yank, they will come off. I like the two spoon idea.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. CharlieDog

CharlieDog

Yeah, same thing happened to me. I've got them on and working (barely), but I'm always afraid to even touch the volume knob.

7. Lownote38

Lownote38

The spoon trick is awesome! It is the easiest way to get split shaft type knobs off of the pots. I use that method all the time.

8. mongo2

mongo2

I use a single spoon and a piece of cardboard under it to prevent denting the wood. I ease the knob up by pressing down a bit on the spoon then rotate the knob some and press down a bit again then repeat as necessary until the knob comes loose enough to pull off by hand.

9. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

Removing Fender Stratocaster Knobs

Also agree w/ the following. Squier pots are weak.

10. SurferJoe46

SurferJoe46

I disagree with this --- Squire pots are no weaker nor stronger than any other.

They might be smaller, but they work just fine.

FWIW: Gibson top-of-the-line Les Paul sixers have a very bad reputation for losing their shafts outta the pots when pulling the knobs off.

I'm certainly sure a multi billion dollar Gibson (I exaggerate a bit now and then) would not have cheap-o pots in them either!

I've personally seen Gibson's pots fail in exactly the same way repeatedly and have a buddy who (by now) owns over 50 LPs as a retirement policy, and they are having the same troubles with shaft ejection.

So it ain't a Squier problem but can run from anywhere, any manufacturer and any price range.

11. Lownote38

Lownote38

I simply prefer to eject Gibson from my life. The quality keeps getting worse, yet the prices keep going up. For what they charge, the pots shouldn't break by simply removing a knob.

12. SurferJoe46

SurferJoe46

My extreme hate (I don't have a stronger word at my fingertips at the mo) for Gibson is prolly near the same as yours.

Intonation (with a compensated nut) to correct poor engineering or building a sloppy fretboard should not be the only option the factory offers to correct sharp/flat notes that cannot be tuned correctly further up/down the neck. :eyebrow:

13. j@zz_b@ss

j@zz_b@ss Supporting Member

I've pull many a knob off and my Squier was first time I've had the issue. I otherwise love my Squier 5 string Jazz. As far as Gibson goes.... Don't wanna start riot but hate every Les Paul I've ever played. A friend paid good money for one recently and the baked maple fretboard feels like cheap paneling.

14. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

I have this thicker then average ID card thats old and expired. I use itand spin the knob so its lifting slowly from all sides.

Even a butter knife could work if your delicate.