Puma 900/500 users, cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by J.Wolf, Nov 24, 2013.

1. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Writer - Bass Musician Magazine
    I'm in an interesting position with cabs these days. The only amp I'm currently using is a puma 900 which I love to pieces, and I run it with one or two EA VL110's or a Tecamp M212. most of the time I use the VL's, and I love the way they sound, but often one isnt enough, and two become a schlep (despite the small size, they are, shall we say, dense). They also have a very PA like hifi sound that I dig, but is dificult to dial out on gigs where I need a bit more vintage tone. I prefer not to achieve this with pedals, but rather have an alternate cab that is voiced accordingly. Not looking for a "SVT" traditional tone, just something less hifi than what I'm currently using. The M212 is great, super loud and wonderful tone, and not too heavy, but its physically a little larger than what I need alot of the time.

So all that is to say, what is a lightweight 2x10 or 1x12 cab that pairs nicely with the inherent tone and EQ points of the Puma, sounds slightly vintage-y, and doesnt cost an arm and a leg?
  2. Randyt

Randyt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Adult Pampers
    J.
    I have only used the M212...but for some of my jazz gigs...its a little too much..on some of the large stages...I hooked into my Ampeg heritage 810...it has a much more vintage vibe...
    Im kinda in the same boat...but I'm seriously looking at the Jules Monique for the vintage mojo..just a thought

Good luck
  3. Stephent28

Stephent28 Supporting Member

I use a Glasstone Lil'G (2x12 and about #35) that has handled every gig I have thrown at it from small clubs to outdoor venues (with PA support).

Very versatile and full sounding compact cab that can pretty much do it all.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/glasstone-cabs-942152/
  4. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

The ACME Flatwound 12" cab is designed specifically for "vintage" tone. It has no tweeter. Think Motown sound.

The Ampeg SVT210AV cab id designed to sound like the SVT810 cab in a light, inexpensive box. Does it well but the PUMA has a lot of power so be careful.

The LoPHAT AX208/5 sounds HUGE and smooth and is built with top-of-line components. It's expensive but the Puma ain't cheap so....
  5. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    good info and advice, thanks all!

its funny Randy, I've spent a great deal of time with Monique, and I absolutely love/want one. Came very close to snagging one from Jule a month or two back, but cash ran short.

It's hard to say whether the solution for me is adding a less hifi cab to the arsenal, or picking up something like a TH500, which would make my hifi cabs sound a lot more "traditional".

I played a flatwound for a few weeks and really dug it, but something about it wasnt for me. Hard to say what.

The Lil G's are very interesting, but I already have a 212. I get that its a much smaller cab, and I hear nothing but good things. Would love to try one out, but might not pull the trigger without a test run.
  6. Dee-man

Dee-man Supporting Member

Hey JW. I'm sure it would sound great with a Berg NV115, though those are not cheap.
  7. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Ever try the BAER ML-112? Might wanna check that out.

:bassist:
  8. reddavid

reddavid Supporting Member

Puma 900 + Baer ML112 = Smile :)
  9. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I'm thinking the Baer may be the ticket, if I go that route.
  10. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

Well they say if you repeat something often enough, it becomes true! I'm sure the Baer cab sounds great. I have been having great success with Greenboy's Fearless cabs paired with a Puma 900 and the older Puma 500 Powersoft amps. These provide lightweight, full range response, and absolutely the best tone with acoustic and electric bass!

My Fearless 210 uses drivers with high excursion capability. It can take 900+ watts @ 4ohms, weighs 46 pounds and gets as loud as a good 410. Excellent mobile form factor. Good for when there is no house PA support.

My review, pics, sound sample here -> www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/fearless-f210-955149/index4.html#141

[​IMG]

If you have house PA support, a lighter cab with the right components will do fine. My Fearless 110 takes 500+ watts @ 8ohm, is as loud as a good 210 and weighs 31 lbs. Sounds the same as the F210.

My review, pics, sound samples - > www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/bad-fearless-110-greenboy-goes-even-smaller-950735/index2.html#57

[​IMG]
  11. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    The Baers have been on my radar for a while, as they seem to meet the goals im after specifically.

The Fearless cabs look great, I've yet to hear one, or a fearful for that matter. Just curious what a build like your 210 runs?
  12. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

I think the F210 is about $1300 or so. The 10, 12, and 15 inch Eminence LF drivers all cost about the same, so your decision is primarily one of final form factor. The cabs all sound about the same based on reports I've heard from other players and builders. I used to have 12/6 and 15/6 "nearful" cabs, so while they were not exactly like the Greenboy spec they were close. Those cabs sounded a bit more wooly and had a wider low end tone. The Fearless line tightens up the low end in a very good way. I've never looked back.
  13. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs, Jule Amps
    Well, I'm a big Baer fan as I've been gigging them heavily for the past year or two. A single ML112 will cover a pretty loud gig, and two of them is pretty blissful.

Berg CN112/212 is another possibility. I preferred the midrange sound of the Baer, but the Berg is not your typical "tweeter" cab and sounds pretty close.

The BigE is another less obvious contender. I had an older 4x6 which I sold in preference to the Baer but have a 45/110 combo on order to check out. I don't think they'll necessarily replace the Baers, but they are a bit shallower and if the single 45 can cover the jazz gigs it might get some time. The Fearless look interesting as well.