Puma 900 w/Aguilar SL112 pair

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by melodiaopus, Mar 31, 2014.

1. melodiaopus

melodiaopus Supporting Member

Okay! I'm in sort of a dilemma here. Sold my Puma 900 and my Berg HT322 and was looking for a light weight rig. I bought a TH500 and two Aggie SL112's. I'm not really digging the tone of the Aggie head and sort of having buyers remorse and should have kept the Puma. Has anyone used TecAmp heads with Aggie SL112's??

Looking for input from Kjung... Need some insight!

2. xroads

xroads

I run the Puma 500 (latest generation) with different GK cabs (112 Neos, 212 Neos), and from time to time also Ampeg 410 cabs, and cannot see why it should not work with SL112s.

3. melodiaopus

Thanks xroads. Yeah, I figured the head would match to anything. I just feel that the TH is a little muddy and not as clear as the Puma. Thanks for your insight.

Keep them coming. Hopefully there are people out there who have used a Puma head with the SL112s

4. melodiaopus

I really loved the modern tone of the Puma. The Tone Hammer is really missing that punch to me. It's a little too dirty sounding in the lower register. The highs and the miss are butter, but nothing really gave an eargasim like my Puma 900

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Why did you sell it? What new sound were you looking for?

7. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Seem like it was a form factor decision...

8. drpepper

drpepper Supporting Member

No help with your situation, but these things always give me a Puma GAS flare up. I really feel like I have to have one at some point.

9. caligula

caligula

This won't help a lot, but it's interesting to read how differently we all perceive certain heads.
    I have a Puma 900 and a Tone Hammer 500.

(IMO) The Puma is considerably more neutral and more modern, whereas the TH is definitely a lot more dirty and a tad wooly in the lows; when A/B'ed. Two very (!) different amps.
    On the other hand, the TH has just so much more going on, while the Puma sounds almost a bit characterless without a real personality to me, just very smooth and polite. I like the Puma a lot, but only for certain things. It works incredibly well with a 4x10 Glockenklang cab btw.

If someone put a gun to my head, I'd pick the TH over the Puma in a splitsecond. Of course, it's all just personal preference.

10. melodiaopus

I was sort of feeling guilty for having an expensive piece of gear like the puma and thought I'd sell it and try some new highly recommended gear like the Aggie stuff. Sort of feel dumb for making that decision and selling that puma head now because the Aggie isn't working out for me tonally. I love the cabs though!

11. melodiaopus

Maybe I should just get a puma 500 and stop my bellyaching? ;)

12. The Mouse

The Mouse

The SL cabs have a wee bit of a dip in the mids. I'm assuming you've cranked the mid on the TH and tweaked the SL's tweeters.

I have heard some Puma soundclips. Quite different to the TH. I have a feeling that your SL112s are playing a part in your issues tho'. Try playing a Puma through your SL112s, I have a feeling that it may not sound like you were expecting.

13. KJung

KJung

Don't quite know what to tell you here SO many variables involved.

Going from the VERY hi fi voicing of the Puma/HT322 to the more fat, grunty tone of the TH500 (never tried the SL cabs, but they do seem to get mixed reviews on TB) is quite a change.

If you were looking to get a similar tone in a lighter rig, obviously, that is not going to happen. Will moving to a Puma500 and keeping the SL cabs get you there... maybe, not sure. Worth a try if you have the cash.

14. melodiaopus

Thanks KJung. I really respect your insight. After going to NAMM and playing on the Aggie stuff I really liked the tone. But then I bought it and seems like I should have stayed with the Puma 900. I should have bought 2 AccuGroove TL112

15. Virgil

Virgil She's My Inspiration

I have the TecAmp 900 and for a while the SL's. I loved the combination and sold the SL's because I was gassing for bergs. You should have kept the Puma. I am not a big fan of the TH SL combination.

16. KJung

KJung

Again, it is all about the mix and match. I agree though that your specific combination of the TH500 and the SL cabs gets a mixed review. The TH500 with the Berg CN cabs.... amazing. The Puma900 with almost anything... amazing.

I again think the main issue is that you wanted a lighter weight rig, but you chose a lighter weight rig that was voiced about as differently from your HT/Puma rig that you could get. The Puma900 and one of Duke's Audiokinesis TC115's would have probably done the trick for you (i.e., somewhat vibing the very smooth, clean, pure, full range tone of the HT322 in a much lighter, smaller cab). Or, the TH500 with either the Berg CN cabs or the Baer ML cabs would have given you a very punchy, warm, fat sort of organic tone in a smaller format.

Mix and match is as important as the individual pieces. That being said, many love the rig you have. MAKE SURE you fully understand and investigate the very interactive EQ and gain structure of the TH500 with you SL cabs before you throw in the towel. Boosting and cutting gain, and slight cuts and boosts on the mid and bass control can really change the entire nature of the tone of your rig. That being said, you are never going to achieve that more scooped, deep, sizzly sort of vibe that your previous rig could deliver.

You might give a GK MBF500 a try. Might get you back closer to where you want to be with those cabs (brighter up top, more extended/less fat down low) without breaking the bank. However, work with the TH a while and make sure to get it on the gig. Quite an impressive amp for me!

17. melodiaopus

When I played them (Aggies) at NAMM they seemed to have a similar tone to the Puma, but a little more fatness in the bottom end. I set everything flat on my TH. I really like the modern tone of the Puma but felt like at NAMM the TH delivered that, but the more I play with it the less clarity I hear from the TH at higher volumes.

The issue I was having with the Berg was the weight and a non original 12" driver was installed. A previous user blew the 12" out. I felt that if I get a two separate cabs I would get more output, because I'm pushing more air. The Puma clipped and would shut down when I played on rock gigs and the volume couldn't match the band. I don't normally play that music, but I'd like to have the option and confidence that my rig will accommodate that sort paid gig.

18. melodiaopus

I think I'm going to take another plunge and sale the setup. Unless someone tells me otherwise. I'm looking for a more modern tone and I was REALLY happy with the TecAmp head. I need some help...I'm sick of switching gear so often.

19. floydman

floydman Supporting Member

your 900 was shutting down? if that is the case, then more speakers is probably the only way to go. I'd have to guess that there would not be a significant increase in volume attempting an increase from the 500W out of that puma 900 by changing to a different amp. more watts would only provide an increase in that headroom, thickness feel more than actual volume improvement. I have driven a 15/6 (similar in that it is a full range, high power rated, 8 ohm cab) to darn near its limits, with the puma 1000 bridged and it sounded great, nice and fat headroom from the puma. filled the entire auditorium quite nicely. more speakers will always sound better than fewer driven harder, also.

20. davidhilton

davidhilton Supporting Member

Maybe its the aggie cabs ur not digging...

21. richrod

richrod

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar, Gruv Gear, Analysis Plus Cables, La Bella Strings
    I guess different strokes for different folks... TH500 and 2-SL112s perfect together... :)