Puma vs clarus

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by dudi8, Mar 8, 2014.

1. dudi8

dudi8 Supporting Member

Hi!
    I have a puma 900 which is a great amp, but it's a little bit too powerful for me.. I also put quite a time into upright now, and I was thinking of getting an acoustic image head, how is it compared to the puma?
    I'm running it into a barefaced big baby 2 8ohms

Thanks!

2. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Too powerful? Even with a volume knob ?

3. dudi8

dudi8 Supporting Member

Yeah in my gigs the highest it gets is 8-9 o'clock

4. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

I've owned two Pumas and two AI Clarus amps. I'm a real fan of the Clarus and used it exclusively for some time. Once I tried the Puma I never looked back. Different strokes for different folks, but the Puma is the best amp I've ever owned or played through. Great form factor, fabulous sound, and more versatile than the Clarus.

My amps are all in the 500w range and I understand you not needing 900w. However as you already own it I suggest just using less of it, volume wise. Extra headroom is never a bad thing.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dudi8

dudi8 Supporting Member

yeah? so should i stick with the puma?
    the clarus 2 s4 and the flex really interested me :)

7. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

I owned a Clarus Series 3 and 4, my favorite amps up to that time. I used them for years after owning countless other top flight amps. After finally trying a Puma I never looked back, but it's always a matter of personal choice.

I don't know if you have the option of a 30 day trial on a new Clarus so that you could perform your own A/B?

8. dudi8

dudi8 Supporting Member

i wish i had it :)

9. xroads

xroads

Want a Puma 500?
    I have one and have the exact opposite problem...sometimes I wish I has a little more power.

10. J.Wolf

J.Wolf

Disclosures:
    Director of Advertising, Bass Gear Magazine
    Sounds like the same problem of having too much money in the bank ;-)

I have a puma 900 and love it, I use it for coffee house/wine bar gigs, club gigs with no PA support, and outdoor festivals. It sounds great at any volume level. Lots of flexibility, lots of ways to structure the gain staging to achieve a variety of goals.

I've owned a handful of AI heads and combos and I wouldn't swap my 900 for much of anything at this point. It's as close to ideal as anything I've found.

11. dudi8

dudi8 Supporting Member

cool thats helpful, so i will keep it :)

12. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Yeah, never buy an amp to get less power, unless it is a tube amp and you want to overdrive it. Otherwise, only buy a different amp if you want a different tone or form factor. The Puma is pretty sweet in those departments.

13. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

^^^This.

14. caligula

caligula

I use my Puma 900 almost exclusively for Jazz gigs, musical shows and small gigs in general; usually with a single 1x12 cab.
    I could argue that 900w is overkill for what I use the Puma for, but extra power is a very good thing to have, you'll never know when you might need it.

@dudi8 If you're happy with the sound coming from your Puma, keep the amp.
    I would never swap it for a less powerful one.