Punk-Rock or Metal?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by monster0503, Jan 12, 2013.

1. monster0503

monster0503

I will start a band with my best friend and two other friends. We talked about the genre of our band. They want to play metal, but i want to play punk-rock or pop-punk. They don't like punk. What should i do?
  2. pushbuttonfour

pushbuttonfour

I agree with you; I love punk and hate metal. But if the rest of your band doesn't agree with you, there's not much you can do. I guess give them this argument: Pop punk and similar genres are more popular than metal, and metal is harder to sing and play. Also, a lot of people associate metal with... how can I put this... douchebaggery.
  3. powmetalbassist

powmetalbassist Supporting Member

Thrash = Punk-Metal. Other option would be mix genres. I once played in a Punk, Grunge, Hard Rock, Alternative, Metal band.
  4. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick Supporting Member

Two posts in and it's started.
  5. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

It's all opinion............

I do agree that metal is harder to play and sing then punk, but that's where it ends.

IMO - Metal/Hard Rock is more popular then punk, and I've always associated punk with D-bags

To the OP - do what works for you. If you don't like metal, and your buddies do - find others to play with. Life is too short to do things you don't like.
  6. pushbuttonfour

pushbuttonfour

oh crap, what have I done??!! :eek:
    no, but I was just trying to give him arguments to give his friends, based on his opinion that I happen to agree with.
  7. monster0503

monster0503

You are right. If they dont agree with me, then i vote for hardcore. :D
  8. monster0503

monster0503

I think that will be the best way. ;)
  9. monster0503

monster0503

Thats a great idea. Thank you :)
  10. pushbuttonfour

pushbuttonfour

huh, yeah I was just displaying my opinion. For me the thing that is sorta D-baggy about metal is the incoherent screaming, it just does not sit well with my ears. But yeah just IMO. And what I meant by "more popular" is that pop punk bands like All Time Low, blink-182, etc still exist, but not realy any metal bands that people have heard of. inb4 barrage of unknown metal bands that exist today.
  11. ibateur

ibateur

Or play metal songs in a punky way
  12. pushbuttonfour

pushbuttonfour

or vise versa ;)
  13. Tituscrow

I think you'll find just as much douchebaggery in the world of punk. Or rap. Or any genre you care to mention.

Sid Vicious and GG Allin were hardly paragons of virtue.

As for the OP, on the one hand, playing pop/punk covers will be less challenging musically and may generate more interest depending on where you plan to gig.

Having said that, learning some metal tunes will undoubtedly improve your chops. Any one who knows anything about music could not deny the unbelievable musicianship that permeates the genre, even if they don't particularly enjoy listening to it.
  14. Tituscrow

Oh dear. Someone needs schooling, but I have neither the time nor the energy.

Bloodhammer, where are you man? :)
  15. monster0503

monster0503

I think i will recommend them to play hardcore or metalcore then.
  16. mellowinman

mellowinman Unmanageable Member Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Blink-182 is what passes for punk rock these days?

Who knew?
  17. Tituscrow

So it would seem.
  18. powmetalbassist

powmetalbassist Supporting Member

I'll bite. Many metal bands exist today that have been around for as long if not longer than many punk bands. Here is but a short list of some iconic metal bands that still do their thing:

Iron Maiden, Metallica, Testament, Motorhead, Judas Priest, Megadeth, Anthrax, Dreamtheatre, etc. Perhaps you have heard of some of these bands.
  19. vishuddha

vishuddha 100% Mediocre Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Drum Sales - Guitar Center
    I've personally never been too impressed with "punk" players... most of the ones I meet seem to be just in it for the image. Posers. Just as it is with metal, for the most part, but I just find metalheads easier to get along with than punk players. In my experience, metal fans are just less snobby... and don't break the law constantly just to prove how punk they are.

Don't get me wrong. I am close friends with some punks, and there are plenty of metal douchebags out there. The aforementioned is just MY experience.

P.S.
    Compromise. Play thrash.
  20. posijon

posijon

Everyone's saying play thrash. You should. It's the only genre in which you can get away with having Black Flag and Anthrax as influences. Plus, thrash or x-over is way more fun on bass.