1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Punk rock/Ska suggestions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Scioto, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Scioto

Scioto

Heya. I'm looking for a bass that can do Punk Rock and Ska. I'm about 99% convinced I should look for a P/J setup as that's what most players I see in those genres play "plus it has been recommended to me previously." I'd prefer a four string bass, as well as it being passive as well. I've been looking at the Fender Blacktop P bass "I know it's not a P/J style but oh well" and I really like it, but I don't know enough about it to make a confident claim that it would perform well in a Punk Rock/ Ska band. I don't see why it wouldn't, but I've been surprised before.
    Any suggestions are appreciated. I'm also not looking to spend TOO much more than $600... like $650 is as high as I really want to go.
  2. Nihilism

Nihilism

Buy what you like. I always played punk rock and stuff, and ever since i started playing metal I realized how OUT there the bass is in punk, not to mention ska. I would go with a Stingray just to be sure though.
  3. dukeisdog

dukeisdog Supporting Member

Look into a Spector NS2A. Thank me later.

:bassist: :D
  4. spaz21387

spaz21387

I vote stingray. listen to the vandals that snarly stingray fits in so well...
  5. TheMinutemen

TheMinutemen

Ive never seen a bass do punk rock. ;) Its you my friend, not the bass. merry x mas all. Peace.
  6. GtenderG

GtenderG Supporting Member

+1 - Mine is the swiss army knife of basses.....

Punk, rockabilly, Rock and/or roll - the whole 8.23 meters* ...

*9 yards :)
  7. FloridaTim

FloridaTim

I just saw Sublime live. Eric Wilson plays a P.

[​IMG]
  8. FloridaTim

FloridaTim

BTW. to be more specific, a bass made by Christian CELINDER that happens to have P style pickups.
  9. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Just a suggestion, you might want to look at a Blacktop Jazz bass (dual P-pickups), if you can find one to try out. It's an incredibly ballsy and aggressive bass. There's a lot of info and first-hand accounts about them here.
  10. Scioto

Scioto

Thankyou all for the suggestions.
    However, I live relatively far away for me to try out any instruments. The nearest Guitar Center to me is over 100 miles away and I have a small Mom n' Pop music shop that carries expensive American made stuff that I could never afford.
    I did look into the Blacktop Jazz bass when I was looking into the Blacktop P bass and I was admittedly curious. I like having humbuckers because when I'm not practicing with people I like to play through a pedal or two and humbuckers really help keep the unnecessary feedback to a minimum. Are splitcoils humbucking too? Honestly if they are "or someone can vouch that the Blacktop J bass handles distortion relatively well" I'm pretty much sold on it.
  11. No Coast Rider

No Coast Rider

Split coil P pickups are noise cancelling. Really the only thing that will give you noise is a passive single coil. Though with good shielding even a single coil can be silent. I have a single coil P Bass that has almost no hum at all because I shielded it well.

Personally I really like the sound a of a Stingray in punk and ska. the current bassist in Streetlight Manifesto uses an SR5 to great effect.

The single coil P is also another great and less common option. It has a great aggressive sound with a little more treble than a split. Great for punk with rounds, and also great for blues with flats.
  12. Scioto

Scioto

Alrighty, folks. I've decided on the Blacktop Jazz bass after reading a mountain of first hand accounts and watching a multitude of videos online. I've compared the Blacktop P to the Blacktop Jazz bass and found that the Jazz bass is definitely more suited to my needs. Thankyou all for your assistance.