PUP for Upton Hybrid?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by BobKay, Apr 11, 2014.

1. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

I'll be picking up my new hybrid (standard, not deluxe) from Upton at the end of April. Wondering if any of you who own the same instrument have any experience with a specific pick up that works well, or one that doesn't.

I understand all the qualifiers - each bass is different; YMMV; amp; pre-amp; etc. I'm really am just looking for general experience from owners of this specific instrument.

Playing is all pizz - traditional country, easy listening rock in bar gigs, and bluegrass. And pretty much always plugged in except for some bluegrass jams or parties.

I have a Realist Lifeline on my Kay plugged into an AI Coda Series IV. I also own (but don't use much) an FDeck Model 2. I like the Lifeline on the Kay, and may get another one of those. I'm also intrigued by The Band, but not crazy about the idea having to use a pre-amp. And the high praise for the Underwood makes me wonder if it would be worth trying.

Anyway, any thoughts appreciated.
  2. LowNote

LowNote Supporting Member

The best pickup I've ever used is the Revolution Solo II that is made/sold by Upton. It can be a bit tricky to install to find the sweet spot that makes it really sing, and who better to do this than the Upton people themselves. I imagine you might even have the choice of not taking the pickup if you didn't like the way it sounds when you pick up the bass. I run mine through an Acoustic Image Focus Series III, and also frequently run it (through the AI DI) directly to the house mixing board in the theatres I play in. The sound men are universally positive about how clean that signal is as well and how easy it is for them to get a good sound from it in the FOH. Now, I'm cheating a bit because I don't have an Upton bass, but rather a LaScala hybrid flatback, but I still want to sing the Rev Solo's praises since it is the product of your new bass's maker.

Erik Hansen aka Lownote
    Scotland
  3. Phil Redman

Phil Redman

I ordered by Bohemian Hybrid with an Upton 'The Source' (awkward name) pickup. I've been very pleased with this pickup. Much like a Full Circle but with a somewhat more natural sound. I also like that The Source is not in the bridge adjuster. That way I can adjust the bridge without concern for how it will effect the sound. I've seen a couple different configurations of the installation of this PUP by Upton; all of them have been very clean and tidy.
  4. lowEndRick

lowEndRick

I had an Upton Hybrid with a Rev Solo II. I ran it through an AI Coda IV. Before that I had a Genz Shuttle 6.0. In my experience the Rev Solo II was very good, but not really great. I had to dial out the harsh mids, especially on bigger gigs when I added an extension cab. I now have an NS Cleveland with a Lifeline. Its not exactly comparing apples to apples but I really like the Lifeline. Full, even sound, no need to dial out the mids so dramatically and it can get quite loud without any sign of feedback. Bowing is also dramatically better with the Lifeline.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. chuck3

chuck3

Rev Solo II for me as well on my Upton standard hybrid, as well as my new hybrid Bohemian with deluxe top that's on the way. Sounds very good into both my Genz Benz Shuttle and now my AI Coda IV. Because I've really just used the Rev Solo II, though, I don't have a lot to compare it to.
  7. lowEndRick

lowEndRick

That was the same for me. I didn't have much to compare to. I still have the Rev Solo II on an old German ply and I am perfectly happy with it. I just think the Lifeline is better from my very limited "apples to oranges" experience.
  8. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC Supporting Member

The Rev Solo II worked very well for me. Its design tames the mid-range piezo honk quite well. As many have noted, once the level comes up, the shortcomings seem more apparent and that seems to be true of just about any bridge-mounted piezo-- perhaps a bit less so for the Rev Solo than others.

The Ehrlund got me away from any bridge-mounted pickup. I won't go into the details that are available in the Ehrlund thread but there are great benefits to be gained by transducing the vibrations from the top plate. Then again, the Ehrlund is quite a bit more expensive than the Rev Solo, the Lifeline, and the like.

YMMV-- no pickup is right for every player and/or bass.
  9. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

I purchased a Revolution Solo (v1) and had it fitted correctly by my luthier, and I didn't find it a complementary sound for my Mirecourt Bass. Of all the pickups I've every used the Ehrlund with it's matching pre amp sounds the most like my instrument alone. Unfortunately, the price of the pickup and pre amp did a steep price bump, which makes it an expensive proposition for a student player, or someone on a limited budget. Additionally, you have to demo it on your bass before you commit to the expenditure.

Ric
  10. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

Thanks to all for replies; very helpful. I tried the EAP on my Kay and could not find a great place, plus I didn't like all the parts and pieces. I like the Lifeline because it stays out of the way as well as sounding good. Maybe I'll start with that.
  11. drurb

Well, if the EAP didn't yield the sound you like, then game over. As for parts and pieces, my EAP setup has no more than would be present with the Rev Solo or Lifeline. For those, I'd use the fdeck pre. With the EAP, I use the Ehrlund pre. If anything, the EAP stays further out of the way than the more common pickup choices.

[​IMG]
  12. lowEndRick

lowEndRick

I was using the fdeck pre with my upton hybrid and rev solo II into my Coda IV. With the Lifeline I haven't felt the need to use a pre at all. But, on lower volume gigs I currently use the rev solo II on my old ply into my Coda with no pre and with very good results.
  13. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

+1 on your instrument the Realist Life Line is a good choice
    SInce the Ehrlund senses vibrabrations through the top a plywood instrument doesn't respond the same, because the top is multiple layers and isn't a solid piece. As for the Ehrlund's "pieces", I personally don't find then a problem, but to each his own. Just my take.

Ric
  14. chuck3

chuck3

Played a lower volume gig with the Rev Solo II on my old Upton ply into my Coda with no pre tonight, with very good results. Turned the low and low mids down a little, and boosted the high mids and highs a little, as I find the ply tends to be a little boomy. Worked fine.
  15. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

Here's an update. I had Upton put a Rev Solo II on when I picked it up. Played out last night in my regular Friday gig with a guitar/singer. The Rev is not as "hot" as the Lifeline so I had to turn up the Coda. I like the E A D better than the Lifeline, but the G is terrible. I'll have to work on that. Of course this is on a brand new bass with brand new Spirocore mediums, so I need to allow some time for everything to settle in. Bottom line is that I like the Rev, assuming I can solve the G issue. Thanks again for your replies.
  16. drurb

You might try moving the position of the Rev. Solo slightly within the bridge wing.
  17. Eriklarshansen

Eriklarshansen

I'll second Drurb's suggestion as the Rev Solo is very susceptible to slight adjustments. My bass came alive when I twisted the pickup slightly so that the edge was not quite parallel to the bridge. I love the way this pickup sings in my bass.

Erik Hansen
    Scotland
  18. drurb

Yup-- and has been suggested here many times, once you find the sweet spot, it's helpful to mark it with a pencil so that it can be returned to that position if it ever gets bumped or if you remove it.
  19. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

Les, Erik,
    I'll move it around some and see what happens. In your experience could it also affect volume, or just tone?
  20. LowNote

LowNote Supporting Member

The small move made mine much louder and it fattened up the tone as well.