PUP similar to DiMarzio Model J?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Dubista, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Dubista

Dubista

Hey fellas,

I've been reading up on pickups and tying various ones out, thanks to my mates. Recently, upon trying the Model Js, I fell in love with the sound, with a fresh set of Fat Beams. It is tasty!

However, I can't seem to jive with the aesthetics of the Model Js. I'm a sucker for "vintage" and "classic" look. So I was wondering if there's a pickup out there that has the sound of the Model J, but with the look of your standard PUP.

Thanks in advance.
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Not that I know of.
  3. sadowskyguy

sadowskyguy

I love my new model j's! In a YouTube clip of various models side by side, I thought the Lindy fralin had the most similarities in overall fatness, just my opinion. ( though they were still different).
  4. Dubista

Dubista

Would you happen to have the link to said video?

Edit: Found it.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. sadowskyguy

sadowskyguy

That's the one!
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I'd say out of all of them, the only ones that got close to the Model J sound was the Swing Groove Kings. Fralins sounded good but a little mid shy and brightness forward compared to the Model J's. Never heard those EMG JVX's before, and was very impressed. They didn't sound like Model J's, but they do seem to have more of a passive vibe than an active vibe.
  8. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

You can replace the black poles with silver ones to get a more traditional look , especially at a distance. Available from Di Marzio .
  9. invalidprotocol

invalidprotocol Supporting Member

I appreciated the video link post. It is an excellent J pickup comparison. For those of you that have the Model J's, based on the sound in the sample are they wound parallel or series? It sounded like a blanket was over the entire top end of that sample. They did still present the woody tone of the bass well though, I just wanted to hear a little more clarity and openness at the top.

The overall character of the Swing Groove Kings remind me of my Fender CS 60's. The JVX's sound great as do the Nordstrands. What surprised me was how awful the Fralins sounded. Way too forward and crowded in the mids. Too much pickup and not enough tone from the bass itself.
  10. sadowskyguy

sadowskyguy

I just recently modded my fender avri62 jazz with the model j's, and I really like them. It is not a "vintage jazz accurate" sound, but it is a sound I like. I like round tones. As far as highs go, I feel like it has plenty (for me). The clip does not show the highs capabilities of the Dimarzio model j's. It seems like he has the tone rolled off quite a bit. I have mine wired in series.

Admittedly, some people say they don't like the model j's for their lack of highs, and some prefer the area j's for that reason. As stated above, I love the model j's.
  11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Series humbucking, I'd say. Standard installation.

Invalid, the Model J's do have a highs rolloff for sure compared to vintage-style pickups, but you can still get treble out of them. The guy likely recorded them right into a DI with no EQ, and that's what they sound like recorded that way. But you can get more out of them with EQ. Definitely not a pickup everyone enjoys...took me years before I liked them. They're really good at making a bass that sounds cheap and wimpy sound big.
  12. parsons

parsons

The Seymour Duncan Stk-J2 set can sound similar to the Model J if you wire the coils in series instead of parallel. It's not an exact copy of the tone but it's close. The Duncan's have two coils stacked on top of each other while the Dimarzios have a split coil design like a Precision pickup.