Pups with "Character"?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by driftingupward, Feb 21, 2014.

1. driftingupward

driftingupward Gold Supporting Member

Not sure if this is the right place for this but here's my situation:

I play a Schecter Stilletto Elite with EMG 40(4 X 1.5) sized pups and I'm trying to find something that has a little more character than my Bart classic bass dual coils. The bass came with EMG 40HZ's and they sounded sterile to my ears. Then I tried EMG 40CS's and then 40J's and they both sounded OK, but the barts have the best sound yet to my ears.

I'm looking for something that has a little more "character"(for lack of a better term). I like the sound Flea gets on 'Aeroplane' (Stingray) along with the various single coil pups I've heard clips of checking out Youtube.

Right now I'm playing in a 60-70's funk band doing some James Brown along with some Funkadelic and some slap stuff too.

I guess my question is: Should I just get different pups for the Schecter and hopefully find them someday or should I be looking at different/better quality basses? Should I be exploring coil switching with what I have before continuing on to other Pups?

Oh, and the pre is an EMG BQC 3 band active, no switches or anything like that....
  2. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Coil switching is the answer. I could be wrong, but I think Aeroplane was recorded during Flea's Jazz Bass phase so you are looking for the sound of single coils. Wire your Barts with 3 way toggle switches so each pickup will have series/single/parallel and you're good to go. Your Barts have tons of character baked in.

Alternatively, you could get Nordstrand Big Singles in that size.

Or, just get a passive jazz like Flea used!
  3. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Well after some research, I found out Flea actually used a Treker Louis Johnson for that song:

[​IMG]
  4. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Is this for live, studio or home use?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. waynobass

waynobass Supporting Member

Dachshund puppies are adorable.

Oh... you're talking about pickups.
  7. driftingupward

driftingupward Gold Supporting Member

Well I read an interview with him on one of the other forums and he said that he used a stingray on that song and I think an Alembic on the rest of the album.

regardless of what he really used, I'll definitely check out coil switches