*Purchase question* PEAVEY, All KOA Wood, Unity Series® Bass Guitar-

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Alex D, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Alex D

Alex D

Hello all, I am looking at purchasing this Bass and wondered if anyone has seen a version that required two 9 volt batteries? I have seen one on the Dyna Bass version but not two. Also, I am wondering if the neck size is the same and do the Dyna and Unity versions basically sound the same?Thanks for any input you can offer.

[​IMG]

2. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

No Dyna Unity has an 18v preamp. Some Peavey models run on 18v (Axcelerator, Forum, G-bass), but not the Dyna Unity series. The bass above is the passive version of the Koa Dyna Unity. If that bass has an 18v preamp, it was added after the fact.

3. Major Softie

Major Softie

There's a number of different Unity models. There's Unity's, Dyna-Bass Unity's, and TL Unity's. Some are passive, some are active, but I don't know any with 18v systems. The bass you have pictured appears to be a passive. All the actives I'm familiar with have more knobs.

Millenium's have 18v. Maybe someone else here knows of a 18v Unity.

Edit: I see smcd was writing at the same time as myself. Someone could certainly have put an 18v pre into a Unity.

4. woodyng

woodyng

I had one exactly like the one pictured,it's a great feeling bass/neck,with curved body wings a la Spector basses. Usually dirt cheap,too!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Alex D

Alex D

Thanks so much for the feedback… The owner checked again and there is in fact just one 9 volt battery after all. He is asking $450 for the Bass ? I didn't know the Passive version had a battery. Also, Is this Bass good for Slap style playing? Or would the Active version be a better choice . Thanks

7. woodyng

woodyng

The bass pictured probably was originally passive.the one i had was originally active,with a 3 band eq. These basses tended to get the peavey pickups swapped out,so it's possible that's what happened with this one. My slapping skills are pretty negligible,but i do remember this bass was a good one to slap.

8. Ken J

Ken J Coginchaug New Horizons Band/Skinning Cats Gold Supporting Member

I have several Dyna Unity's with the original 9 volt three band preamps in mint condition and never paid more than $350.00. I also Squirreled away several preamps as spares. You can find the preamp boards for $20.00. I have run 18 volt thru the Peavey preamps and it does work but the back ground noise is increased so I stick with 9 volt.

9. valeria

valeria

Hi! I have also one question concerning purchasing.
    If anyone out there has experience with the kala U Bass? I am confused which musical instrument to choose.A longer scale acoustic bass guitar that may be priced comparably to the U Bass or still kala U Bass?

10. Ken J

Cant help you with the Ubass but my experience with the acoustic basses was not a satisfying one. Base ball bat size neck, extra jumbo frets and a lack of string choices.

11. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

$450 is expensive for that bass. Koa adds a premium, but the fact that it's passive, and the changed pick ups decrease the value. The right price for that bass is $300, max.

12. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

It didn't...but it did come pre-routed for a single 9v battery in the control compartment. (I presume Peavey just used the same CNC template for passive Unity basses and active Dyna Unity basses.)

btw, if you have an opportunity to Try Before You Buy, bring a strap and check out whether there's any botehrsome neck-dive. I had a passive Koa Unity that was 90% awesome, and 10% infuriating neck-dive (plus a couple weird woodworking anomalies that may have just been unique to the lumber used in my particular instrument).

13. Ken J

Yes my Dyna is a bit heavy in the neck but a wide suede strap takes care of it

Attached Files:

14. NicJimBass

NicJimBass The Kirk Hammett of bass guitar! Supporting Member

Didn't the stock pickups have exposed pole pieces? That bass looks like it might have EMG's, which would explain the battery.

15. Ken J

Good eye but Bart's

16. NicJimBass

I dunno.... Barts usually have their edges rounded more than what's in the pic. Plus, if you look very closely, you can see something in the lower righthand corner of both pickups, right where an EMG logo would be. Also, Barts have their logo across the middle of their pickups, in raised lettering. Never seen a set with those worn off. That, and Barts are usually passive.

17. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

+1

There does appear to be an EMG logo in the bottom right corner of those pickups.

18. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

so it's $300 for the bass and $150 for the emg "upgrade"

(don't blow, smcd, i put "upgrade" in sarcaso-quotes...)

one can slap on anything but i would expect 'brighter' woods to be preferred for slapping in general. koa is famous for having a 'warmth' to the tone.

19. Ken J

I thought you were talking about my Dyna

20. NicJimBass

Ahhh... hahaha. I see that now. My mistake!

21. Alex D

Alex D

Thank you all for the info. The seller is not local so I won't be able to play before purchasing. I attached some additional pictures to see if you all have additional response. It looks like there has been some modification by the looks of the back of it. I don't want to pay $450 now that I know the value no more than $300. I have to admit I haven't seen too many of these out there for sale but the ones I have seen have been pricey.

***Would you recommend just looking for an active version of this Bass or should this Bass modified to Active be a good buy?? I found a DYNA BASS that has the active pickups but of course its a blue color. The price on the blue one is $250.00 (attached pic) Thanks again..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]