1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Purchasing "used" Strings...Why?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by fishtx, Aug 27, 2013.

1. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses/Genz Benz - RIP/Mojo Hand FX
    I constantly see sets of used strings for sale in the classifieds and just don't understand why people sell and buy these...am I missing something? When you change your strings, do you not want a new/fresh set?...

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    I'm curious as well. I'm assuming the buyers are not slappers. I'm guessing they like that broken in sound.

3. elgecko

elgecko

It makes sense with flatwounds. Not so much with roundwounds.

4. domdec314

domdec314 Supporting Member

Some people try a new set for a day and realize they don't like it and sell them as nearly new strings.

Some people prefer the sound of flat wounds after they're broken in and would rather buy a used set.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

This.
    I've sold used flats a bunch of times. They always sell quick. I buy them, don't love them or need them anymore so I sell them. I've tried all the flats I've wanted to try and recouped most of the money spent. I'd buy a 10 year old set of chromes from the classifieds in a second if they were there.

7. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

Not to mention that used strings have been cut to fit a particular bass, and might not fit on another ... just sayin'

8. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Well, I get your side of it...you try them, don't like them, and re-coupe some of your dough by selling them...it's the "buying" them side of it I don't get. "Buying used strings doesn't make any sense to me...

When I change my strings, I want a clean/fresh set...that's why I'm changing them in the first place...If I want "used" strings, I'll just leave the old ones on the Bass...

9. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

Expense and string safari. Especially with flats, they are generally more expensive than rounds. But they hold their tone longer. The flip side is that they can take longer to settle in. So by purchasing used, a player can get a better idea of the true tone and feel of a string, or a variety of strings, without the substantial cash outlay and without the settling in time necessary for new strings. This can help in a pinch when a string breaks or unravels, and a new string would twang by comparison, or sometime a player's cash flow is such that this is what is affordable.

You think these are expensive? Try average $200 for a new set of strings on the double bass side of the forum. The used market is very strong. In the short time I have been on the forum, I know of at least one set of double bass strings that have traced through at least three, possibly four owners, and still going strong.

10. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

That's just it. I like flats in general or dead rounds. Different strokes and all. If Ed friedland ever sold the 10 year old labella rounds he has on his pbass, I'd buy them.
    Also I never ever slap. If it was required of me as a bass player I'd keep fresh rounds on a bass. Not that fresh rounds don't sound great too in general.

11. darkstorm

darkstorm

Biggest problem I can see for buying used strings. Is getting set with different distances to tuning peg. Due to inline instead of 2x2 etc. Or if string thru body and not using that option on buyers bass. Which could be problematic due to the bend in the used set toward the ball end. I like new and newly broken in sound for strings myself. But some prefer well worn in sound, esp for flats. So while buying doesnt make sense for me, it could for some.

12. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Yes this would/could be an issue as well...

13. Mktrat

Mktrat Wait. What?

Soooooo......

Before you buy you ask 2x2 or inline thru body or top mount.
    Seems pretty simple.

I prefer flats, the older the better. I only have one bass w/Rounds and the last time they were changed was the early 90's.
    Yeah I like old strings. Yes I play slap. No I don't own the best bass for metal, or play w/ a pick like a man.

Everybody is different and nobody's perfect.

14. walldaja

walldaja

Don't tell Fender, they'll start selling new strings at a premium as relics.

15. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Shhhh! No, don't buy any of those. I'll buy them all, just tell me where!

Actually-not interested, I've shipped them to others (for free) for use in making jewelry. I have no interest in boiling strings for extended use. YMMV...

16. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

all as mentioned ... and IMHO it only applies to used flatwounds ..

... price: .... a very affordable way to experience hundreds of dollars worth of strings, at usually less than half price, and if you find they are not of interest, you can move them along and generally recoup your 'investment'

... string 'life': ... generally many that use flats do NOT want a fresh set as it can sometimes take a while to get them to their 'broken in' state .. this gives you the opportunity to eliminate the break in process and to expedite the evaluation ... you try them new, you have to guess what they will be like a couple months/years/decades down the road and may be erroneous in your evaluation ...

.. generally you buy used strings, you ask questions ... as mentioned, top loaded or STB, what body type were they cut for, # of windings at the post, etc. ...

... if you find they are cut a tad short, there are ways around that, and if you find you really like them, you can certainly then spend the $$ on a new set, cut them properly, etc .. as you will have a very good idea of what you have down the road ..

.. buying/selling used flats has allowed me to sample probably 15-20 brands/sets over the last year or so ... a very inexpensive education, and a greatly expedited process compared to what it would have been purchasing new .. JMHO

17. Tony B. Filthy

Tony B. Filthy Supporting Member

I have a used set of flats I purchased in Detroit that are certified ex-James Jamerson strings that he used in the mid-late '60's. They cost me $800 due to their historical value. ;-)

18. drnknmstr

drnknmstr

I've sold a lot of used strings. Like everyone else, the flatwounds are the real key. I sold a few rounds that were sort of used, but I sold those extra cheap. They're worthwhile if you want to see what a certain particular set of rounds sound like, if you're curious.

19. shrimpflea

shrimpflea

I've sold several used flatwound sets and they sell real fast!

20. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Not really an issue if the seller is specific about what bass they were on. I've sold used strings a few times (ones I tried and didn't like) and I always made sure to mention that they were top loaded on a inline headstock for example.

21. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Not a fan of touching strings that others have rubbed all over with their filthy boogered-up fingers. My own filthy boogered-up fingers are bad enough.