1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Purpose of epoxy sealing pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by KayXero, Jan 12, 2014.

1. KayXero

KayXero

Care of educate me? Ive done a search but am still confused. Ive noticed some pickups have this done, but wondered why. Plus it generally seems that rail and blade pups always seem to be the pups to have this done to them.

I havent personally used traditional cylinder polepiece pups that are epoxy sealed (usually they are just glued). Heck, I dont even see cylinder polepiece pups anywhere searching online like that. So I guess I have two questions. What is the epoxy sealing for, and why do I see it generally on rail or blade type pups.

2. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    It basically reduces noise and microphonics.

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Mainly for protection. Also makes it near impossible to take apart and reverse engineer any trademarks or secrets that are inside.

I would imagine the only reason you don't see it on exposed coil pickups is because the epoxy would run out of the open holes!

4. line6man

line6man

Yep. It's called potting, and it is done to prevent microphonics.

Epoxy holds up better than wax.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. KayXero

KayXero

Thanks for the info guys.

Considering how hummy and noisy traditional pole pieces can be...is it really impossible to epoxy those? I know mmbongo mentioned epoxy running out of holes, but surely that could be prevented?

7. MPU

MPU

The reason for traditional visible pole piece pickups hum is that they are usually single coils. Epoxy will do nothing for that hum.

8. KayXero

KayXero

Sweet. Im learning lol. Thanks for all the info guys. Im a noob when it comes to the nooks and crannies of a instruments electronics.

9. line6man

line6man

Potting secures the windings so that they cannot vibrate. Pole pieces don't need to be potted, and are usually secure, anyway. Some pickups have adjustable pole pieces, so you certainly don't want them to be permanently affixed.

Hum and microphonics are two different things, and hum is not caused by pole pieces. It comes from the coils, when nearby magnetic fields induce current to flow in them.