Push-Pull Pot question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by CL400Peavey, Mar 27, 2014.

1. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Hey guys,

I dont make it over to this sub forum often, but I have a question for the hive mind regarding electronics.

I am upgrading my Pbass (a cheapo Squire, but it actually plays pretty well) and have a set of DiMarzio DP 127 on their way. I had been contemplating running with out a volume and tone pot, and just having an on/off switch. Realizing it is a really hot pick up, I have thought better.

DiMarzio recommends 500k pots, and I still want to have an on/off switch on the bass. Taking a look at what is out there I noticed there are push/pull 500k tone and volume pots. Their intended use is for series/parallel wiring. They are not that expensive, so I thought they may be an option.

My questions are:

1. Can I use one of these to work as an on/off switch?
    2. Would it make sense to toggle between series/parallel with P pick ups?
    3. Depending on the responses above, how should I wire these up to the pots?

Thanks!
  2. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Shouldn't be a problem to use one as an on/off switch by just wiring it into your hot lead from the jack.

You can also use one to do series/parallel as long as your P pickup is 4 conductor, which I think DiMarzio's are. DiMarzio's come with the wiring instructions on how to do it.
  3. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Yes you can easily use it as an on/off switch

A P pickup in parallel is weak and thin sounding, I have done it before and never used it in parallel.

I attached a diagram on how I would wire it as a kill switch, In the down position it is on, in the up position it takes the signal straight to ground.

Attached Files:

4. eukatheude

eukatheude

If they're not 4 conductor, you should be able to cut in the middle the wire that connects the two pickups, splice both wires to the switch and work from there. However I don't think a P pickup would work well in parallel.

Hopkins, wouldn't it be better to have a resistor in series with the ground, in order do avoid a loud pop when switching it off? Or does that only apply to active basses?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    Good to know.

New question. Does it make more sense to use the volume knob as the on/off, or the tone knob? While the pots are not that much more expensive than standard ones, if I am only using one push/pull for on/off then I only want to buy one. :D
  7. Hopkins

It doesn't really matter, personal preference really.
  8. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

I will second Hopkins.

You can easily wire it to do any of the scenarios you asked about. I do Like your on/off idea with a single tone knob. I had a DiMarzio Model P for a while and had a push/pull Vol on it and truth is I never used Parallel. Scratch that, I used it when screwing around when bored for about 5 min. The sound is not a lot different, its mostly just quieter but there is a little something lost by running in parallel. I just doesn't have that oomph or wow factor.

In short: I would highly recommend running series using the push/pull as an on/off.
  9. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

The push/pull section is technically not connected to the pot. Its literally just a 2 way switch that's been clamped to the bottom of a pot. The only deciding factor on this will be where you want to reach to pull/push the button.
  10. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    Cool.

Look like I need a tone pot with push/pull then.
  11. Hopkins

Here is a better diagram with the kill switch on the Tone Control

Attached Files:

12. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    This is really helpful!

For my clarification. On the switch, the top and the bottom terminals are jumpered?

Thanks!
  13. Hopkins

Yes
  14. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    TY!