1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Push-Pull Pot question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by CL400Peavey, Mar 27, 2014.

1. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Grand Rapids Michigan
    Hey guys,

I dont make it over to this sub forum often, but I have a question for the hive mind regarding electronics.

I am upgrading my Pbass (a cheapo Squire, but it actually plays pretty well) and have a set of DiMarzio DP 127 on their way. I had been contemplating running with out a volume and tone pot, and just having an on/off switch. Realizing it is a really hot pick up, I have thought better.

DiMarzio recommends 500k pots, and I still want to have an on/off switch on the bass. Taking a look at what is out there I noticed there are push/pull 500k tone and volume pots. Their intended use is for series/parallel wiring. They are not that expensive, so I thought they may be an option.

My questions are:

1. Can I use one of these to work as an on/off switch?
    2. Would it make sense to toggle between series/parallel with P pick ups?
    3. Depending on the responses above, how should I wire these up to the pots?

Thanks!

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Shouldn't be a problem to use one as an on/off switch by just wiring it into your hot lead from the jack.

You can also use one to do series/parallel as long as your P pickup is 4 conductor, which I think DiMarzio's are. DiMarzio's come with the wiring instructions on how to do it.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Yes you can easily use it as an on/off switch

A P pickup in parallel is weak and thin sounding, I have done it before and never used it in parallel.

I attached a diagram on how I would wire it as a kill switch, In the down position it is on, in the up position it takes the signal straight to ground.

Attached Files:

5. If they're not 4 conductor, you should be able to cut in the middle the wire that connects the two pickups, splice both wires to the switch and work from there. However I don't think a P pickup would work well in parallel.

Hopkins, wouldn't it be better to have a resistor in series with the ground, in order do avoid a loud pop when switching it off? Or does that only apply to active basses?

6. CL400Peavey

Nov 7, 2011
    Grand Rapids Michigan
    Good to know.

New question. Does it make more sense to use the volume knob as the on/off, or the tone knob? While the pots are not that much more expensive than standard ones, if I am only using one push/pull for on/off then I only want to buy one. :D

7. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    It doesn't really matter, personal preference really.

8. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

Mar 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    I will second Hopkins.

You can easily wire it to do any of the scenarios you asked about. I do Like your on/off idea with a single tone knob. I had a DiMarzio Model P for a while and had a push/pull Vol on it and truth is I never used Parallel. Scratch that, I used it when screwing around when bored for about 5 min. The sound is not a lot different, its mostly just quieter but there is a little something lost by running in parallel. I just doesn't have that oomph or wow factor.

In short: I would highly recommend running series using the push/pull as an on/off.

9. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

Mar 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    The push/pull section is technically not connected to the pot. Its literally just a 2 way switch that's been clamped to the bottom of a pot. The only deciding factor on this will be where you want to reach to pull/push the button.

10. CL400Peavey

Nov 7, 2011
    Grand Rapids Michigan
    Cool.

Look like I need a tone pot with push/pull then.

11. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Here is a better diagram with the kill switch on the Tone Control

Attached Files:

12. CL400Peavey

Nov 7, 2011
    Grand Rapids Michigan
    This is really helpful!

For my clarification. On the switch, the top and the bottom terminals are jumpered?

Thanks!

13. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Yes

14. CL400Peavey

Nov 7, 2011
    Grand Rapids Michigan
    TY!