1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Pushing band gimmicks over the top

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by TopBillinBass, Jan 7, 2013.

1. TopBillinBass

TopBillinBass

Hey fellow TBers

So I've recently had an issue with my band pushing gimmicks over the top. First of all, we are a ska band (as in ska-punk aka reel big fish style) and I understand ska bands are supposed to be fun.

It started off with our horn section doing crazy dance moves and choreography to our songs when they weren't playing, which is fine with me.

Then for one of our shows we all wore sports team jerseys and I was hesitant but didn't care enough either way so I gave in and wore a sports jersey.

Then for this coming show our lead singer wants everyone to wear pajamas and bring a pillow and stuffed animal...

His reasoning is that we have a small loyal fanbase that keeps coming to our shows and wants to have something different for them every time. For one of our shows he suggests that in one of the songs we all have our pants around our ankles by the end and everyone seems to be ok with this. I am not.

Is this over the top or am I just being a grinch? At this point I feel uncomfortable inviting my own friends to the show!

Some of our songs for reference,

https://soundcloud.com/youandalltheblindpeople

Thanks guys!

2. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Oh, those aren't the gimmicks I was expecting (ie back tracking or wearing lambchops and cop glasses). Sorry, I couldn't resist!

I think it's all in good fun...but not all of those ideas are good, and you should vote on it.

Wes

3. vishuddha

vishuddha 100% Mediocre Supporting Member

Well, here's the issue. You, as a band, are generally meant to pander to the fans. That's just how it goes. If the fans like you guys doing stupid (and emasculating) things, then that's what you have to do to be successful. It's the industry.

You've reached a crossroad here. Which path are you going to take? Dignity or business?

4. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

I dunno about bringing a stuffed animal, but things like that are fun and they are small things that make a big difference (believe it or not) to fans.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. nsh50a

nsh50a

I'd say it comes with the genre. Best Ska band I ever had the pleasure of seeing live was the aquabats. I'd say wearing pajamas on stage is slightly under wearing rashguards and fighting supervillains on stage mid song but they were great shows.

7. JimiLL

JimiLL Supporting Member

I see where hes going, but I draw the line at the stuffed animal. Lame-o

8. aguacateojos

aguacateojos Supporting Member

I would probably go for everything except the pants routine - what is the point of that one? I wouldn't get pumped if that happened at a show I was seeing... I would probably head straight for the door.

9. fraublugher

fraublugher

If you have stuffed animals in your houshold ALREADY , then this is your karma.

10. johnson79

johnson79

Sounds like your singer is the governor of Lamesylvania.
    It's one thing to have fun, another to bring a stuffed animal to a show.:D

11. Luke19Boarder

Luke19Boarder

I'd totally wear pj's to play a show if I were in a ska band. I'd probably pass on the stuffed animal, though.

12. two fingers

two fingers You tahkin 'uh me? Yeah, you. You tahkin 'uh me? Supporting Member

Singer is a dork. But if it's going to keep the peace in the band, sport some plaid flannel pants and a plain Tshirt. No pillow. No animal. Meet them in the middle.

13. bassteban

bassteban

Tough call- I can see the point in adding a touch of silliness to the show, and Im guessing the crowd will, for the most part, eat it up. OTOH, if I *had to* do it, I'd very likely be super NOT into it, and it would show. I'd look kinda like grumpy cat w/a bass

Edit: So DON'T be that guy- if you can't do it happily, fake it; if you can't even do that, just don't

14. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

If the gig was a pajama party or pajama party theme I wouldn't think twice about gettin' me a one-sie, if I were just playing a normal gig at a normal bar I would question the man's sanity. Whatever happened to all black or ties or something...

15. jmac

jmac

So stuffed animals are a deal breaker, but dropping pants seems to be ok?

16. PilbaraBass

PilbaraBass

What was that band in the 70's that dressed as a construction worker, Indian, policeman...?

What was that band in the 70's that wore crazy black and white face makeup ?

What was that band in the 80's that wore plastic hair and flower pots on their heads?

What was that band in the 90's that wore ripped jeans? (Wait, they didn't stand out...)

What was that band in the 00's that wore those rubber suits dressed as creatures you'd see in something like a power rangers episode.

Gimmicks work! If the fans dig it, do it..
    Performing is part acting, get into character and enjoy it?.

17. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

The key to playing with your pants around your ankles is to stuff a sweet potato into your underpants before you go onstage.

I if you put the sweet potato in the front of your underpants it's a lot more metal than if you put it in the back.

I learned that one the hard way.

18. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Maybe if you all dressed as giant cuddly animals. In PJ's.

Seriously though, some bands have always sought to find that little schtick that makes them stand out.

From Rocket From The Crypt and RHCP to Kiss and Kraftwerk...as long as your music doesn't suck, wear what you want. Just don't bring cuddly toys.

Tell your singer that the good folk of TalkBass have passed judgement, and they say no.

19. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings

With the exception of KISS, none of the groups you mentioned enjoyed success for more than a couple of years.

Good music will outlast gimmicks every time. There is a difference between having fun and embarrassing yourself. Drop the gimmicks and play music.

20. capncal

capncal

not sure how it is with ska, but there ain't no pajamas in rock and roll.

21. kevteop

kevteop

Why do ska bands all have to be 'zany' now?