Put 3 band preamp in a warwick corvette

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by cocoune, Dec 2, 2012.

1. cocoune

cocoune

Hey guys,
    I have a warwick corvette standard I want to know if it's possible to put in a 3 band eq in it without making a new hole ?
    And what preamp you recommend to me for this bass, I heard a lot of good things on aguilar and i want to keep the warick ish sound.
  2. JonKim

JonKim Supporting Member

There's a guy selling a 3 band MEC pre on the classifieds from a thumb nt
  3. S6I6X

S6I6X

Any EQ that's 3 knobs and has no switches should fit in without modifications unless it's something weird. Aguilar stuff definitely fits no problem and I know some sites like best bass gear will assemble whatever configuration you want. If you search YouTube there's a great video comparing the MEC 3 band and the Aguilar OBP3.
  4. cocoune

cocoune

But its possible to all fit this with 3knob total ? Will i lose my passive/active pull off ? ANd is it better to change electronics or pups ?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RFord04

RFord04 Supporting Member

What is it that you don't like about the current MEC preamp that you don't like?
  7. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Been there and done all that. First, ask yourself the question RFord04 posed: What don't you like about the current preamp and what do you want instead?

If you decide you want another preamp, then you need to decide what you are looking for and whether you can meet your space needs with available holes. Most preamps can accommodate stacked controls, so your options are broad (3 holes = 6 knobs), plus pill switches can often be added to stacked pots.

I've put together a pretty fair number of preamp mods this way, but one of the fundamental questions that often doesn't get asked is: Do I really want another bass instead of the one I'm modding? More times than not, there's more to gain by trying out other instruments than by torturing one that can't easily be what it's not.
  8. cocoune

cocoune

Well i really like my corvette and I just got it. What I dont like is that warwic corvette is just treble and bass, no mid -_- thats the only thing. I heard read alot of good thing about acg but dont know if I can have 3 knobs and swtill having my active/passive pull wich I like on warwick
  9. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    The ACG preamp is filter based and does not have a mid control. You either have two low pass filters or a low and high pass filter. It's a nice preamp however. Just different from a 2 or 3 band.
  10. SteveHeissner

SteveHeissner

If you want more mid why not just boost the mids on your amp and leave the bass passive? I've got a passive Corvette and do just that. It sounds better than it needs to for any bar band.
  11. Modern Growl

Modern Growl Supporting Member

I have a Nordstrand 3-Band Pre in my Corvette.

Just go:
    (Stacked Vol/Vol) - (Mid) - (Stacked Bass/Treble)
  12. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

Sure no problem. If you want to keep the active passive option and not drill it can be done. As far as I am aware of though the only aftermarket stacked volume pot with the push pull option is made by MEC. You can actually but one on line new from BestBassGear.com they will work with other preamps just match the Ohms for active pickups and I believe the one offered at BBG is for active. That wired with any active 3 band preamp with a stacked bass treble etc…I have several MEC pots like that and MEC 3 band modules if you’re interested FYI.
  13. cocoune

cocoune

thanks guys. I want volume,blend, by pass, mid, trebele, bass. Is it possible without making it custom by myself ? If i bought the acg filter can I have passive pull withou modding custom ?
    Is changing pickups instead of electronics will be a better choice ? Im considering delano