Hello Pipples, Since my queries thus far had yielded no solid information, I decided to be the space monkey and try some D'Addario Nylon Tapewounds (ETB92) on my Breedlove Atlas Fretless ABG. Taking a hint from many of you TB'ers, I called up Jason at BSO- can't beat the price + TB discount! Strings arrived today. Doing an eyeball check, and not having changed strings on this critter yet, I elected to remove the silks at the ball ends; I used a dental pick to pry up threads till I could grab enough of 'em w/fingernail to unravel (w/out pulling up the nylon wrap). Wasn't that difficult. Since the silks on the other end fit through the bridge holes, I guess next time I'll try installing 'em w/the silks on the ball ends too. I haven't had any troubles at the nut, either; despite the .005 difference in diameter. And despite the 44.64 lbs. difference in overall tension, the truss rod hasn't needed tweaking yet. [The OE strings- D'A EXPPBB170 coated phosphors- have a total tension of 190.8 lbs, acc'd. to the package; the tapewounds have a tt of 146.16 lbs.] The tapes are also closer to "balanced;" the tightest string is the G, at 40.04 lbs., the loosest is the E, at 31.90. This as compared to the 170's, where it's the D at 55.7 vs. the E at 40.2. Yeah! And- they sound great on this bass! With zero finger noise, and less wear on my fingers. Very nice. Hell, they look good too. Now to see how long these suckers last! Cause you can bet I'll be playing it bunches.