Putting a pickup inside a cover?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by spego, Feb 8, 2013.

1. spego

spego Supporting Member

Has anyone ever tried taking a complete pickup (my thought is something like an EMG active J pickup) and putting it inside a cover like the one pictured here?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2270-Maple-...707?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item416fb0e713

I'm curious if it would be too much mass for the pickup to work correctly.....the plastic from the EMG cover AND the wood (or plastic) on a cover like this.

Gears are spinning in my head on some different ideas......just curious if it would work though.

2. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

Wood and plastic won't affect the pickups magnetic field. The thickness of the cover's top will affect how close you can position the pups to the strings, though.

3. spego

spego Supporting Member

Ok good to know. Thanks much!

4. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

Looking at his diagrams, fitting another pickup inside those covers might be a problem. There's clearance for bobbins but I doubt another pickup will fit and give clearance for the mounting screws.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. spego

spego Supporting Member

I think I see what you mean. The inside depth is only 5/8" and I am sure an EMG J is deeper than 5/8" (thus leaving it hang out the bottom). They should fit inside (given the length x width) with some mod for the bridge J just won't fit depth wise.

I have an old set of EMG J's here and was thinking outside the box to add them to my Ibanez SR600......not sure this would work though.

7. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

Wouldn't the depth only be an issue if the bottom of the cover sticks up over the edge of the body?

8. spego

spego Supporting Member

Very true. I'm gonna have to do some measurements on the bass itself and the pickups to see if this would work. I'd assume it will. Hmm

9. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

I did the same thing kinda. I put some Bart soapbars in MM sized covers. I had to cut the ends off the Barts to make them fit.

10. spego

spego Supporting Member

Cool. No sound issues im assuming?

11. spego

spego Supporting Member

Looks like the bridge J wont fit in there so that idea is out. :( Oh well it was worth checking out anyway.