1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

putting lkick in the monitor for drummer....

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Frankjohnson, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Frankjohnson

Frankjohnson

I get this.....the drummer wants more kick in the monitor. No bashing.......its what he wants....and I would like to give it to him. My Carvin pm12s aren't going to give him what he wants. My JBL JRX112s aren't either.

I dont' have a lot of options, have the carvin 12 ch powered head. Can I feed him monitor 2 and use a bass cab to make it easy? It should handle the kick if controlled I would think?

He really doesn't need much else, maybe some guitar, can hear vocals well enough - bass is solid - is ok with that too.

I would put all the vocals in ch 1, use an external amp to beef up the power a little, and put 4 monitors out. The drawback - one vocal mix - with some guitar.

2. longfinger

longfinger

How about setting him up with some kind of headphone monitor system? He brings the headphones.

3. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Tell him to buy a Rolls personal monitor. It's a headphone amp. Not expensive.

4. Frankjohnson

Frankjohnson

I am in the process of getting a 2nd sub - might turn one around or run it across stage.....
    If I do this - will I cause feedback I wonder?

He has an in-ear and can hear his kick - it just doesn't have the desired OOOOMPH - which I get. I was looking at what I have, and can use easy. He is more than willing to help load and set up, even buy something if needed.

I am thinking see what the 2nd sub does, and go from there - again - easy and already paid for being part of the equation.

ALSO......
    Thought about putting a JBL 112 from the Main mix x'd over, and 2nd sub as a side fill? that screams feedback to me though.......

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. modulusman

modulusman

7. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

How is the seal on his in-ears? That makes a huge difference in how you hear the low end.

I'd be reluctant to put subs on the stage, especially w/ the drummer's hands on the volume fader. A powered monitor would work, depending on the kind of volume he needs out of it. If your mixing board is limited, you could split the kick mic's signal before or at the powered monitor. (That way, you're not giving up one of your monitor mixes for this quest.)

In general, though, anything that keeps the drummer's stage volume *down* is a good thing.

8. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

have the drummer buy better earbuds

9. Trombassix

Trombassix

Daverat has a YouTube channel (he engineers for The Red Hot Chili Peppers). Look up the videos on polarity to get more out of your drumfill IE more kick. Just do a search and give his advice a try.

10. hotrodjohn

hotrodjohn Supporting Member

+1 for the throne mounted Butt Kicker

11. john m

john m Supporting Member

You might get phase cancelation and wind up with less low end over all.

12. skidrawk

skidrawk

I have a little gemini scratch n dent sub I can use in this short throw situation

13. jimfist

jimfist "Cling tenaciously to my buttocks!" Supporting Member

+1 for the buttkicker.

A drummer I work with requires the feel of his kick drum and the bass guitar when performing, especially on larger stages. He mounted one of these buttkicker devices to his throne, and he's a happy camper. The buttkicker is a servo, rather than a speaker, and it shakes in accordance with the amplified low frequencies being sent to it, which in turn transfer these frequencies thru his drum throne and into his body (up his ass, literally). The effect is far more practical, smaller, and far less obtrusive sonically than something comparable in a traditional subwoofer or larger speaker system.

The buttkicker requires an amplifier that is fed, ideally, a signal that is low-passed (variably) in the 100-200hz range, according to your preference. Depending on how much power is provided will determine how powerful the effect is. Used in conjunction with In-Ear monitoring, a drummer can literally blow his own socks off without worrying about large speakers and loud stage volume bleed from a monitor speaker.

14. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

How much is he planning to spend or how much does he want YOU to spend?

15. 73jbass

73jbass Gold Supporting Member

I got my drummer to buy a powered monitor,and I run a separate monitor send to it with kick drum and a little bass. Works great.

16. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    I would say HE needs to go buy a 15" powered monitor with at least 300 watts.

17. kgp311

kgp311

I'm a drummer as well as a bass player and I've had this issue for a long time. I like to feel the kick drum and sometimes it just isn't practical given the monitor systems. I found out about a company in England called Porter and Davies who make a monitoring system for drummers. They make a throne top with a built in sub transducer and amp to power it with all the features you need to tailor your sound.

I bought their BC2 model a year ago and I won't play without it. It's not cheap but it's the best solution and will last forever.

18. Frankjohnson

Frankjohnson

All good advice - we were trying to do something with equipment we already had - and sounds like we are going to be trying a couple of things. He isn't expecting me to buy or lay out cash for him. Sorry a couple of you read that into it......

That said - I was looking to purchase another power amp - found one on CL locally and worked out a deal that included a 1500 Crest amp and nearly new JBL JRX115 for under $300. That was my power amp budget - and was looking for a 2nd QSC GX5. I can make this work - and with the rest of what we have - we should be solid. We are trying his in-ear next go round, along with 2nd sub added. Throw the JBL15 as a monitor on its side (to try that and/or the in-ear) - and it should all work out.

These guys pay me fairly and throw me A LOT of work - I don't mind going a little extra for them. It pays me and I get to use the eqpt with my band, and sound for a venue I do each week also - at a blues jam.

This should be pretty cool - we have Sean Chambers, Eric Steckel and Chris Duarte coming to that venue soon - so I will have a chance to work out the system before they play.

19. stonewall

stonewall Supporting Member

What i use to do is give him his own send # 2 and monitor im pretty sure its just a 10 a 12 at most speaker his vocal cranked hiskKick cranked add some 100 hz lose some 250 hz.Recently he started using a small little sub board i now sent him a hot non powered signal his voacal and kick 3/4 s on the channel and about 3/4,s on the mon #2 master slider he seems like the happiest guy in the world he controls his tone and volume to his earplugs perfect easy as pie now.

20. Dave Curran

Dave Curran Lilduke

21. Frankjohnson

Frankjohnson

update -

Thanks and again......I do sound for more than one band and they pay me pretty well. I want to give them a good sound they can use, and also keep my system as flexible as I can.

DONE - picked up a crest 1500 watt power amp and a JBL JRX115 pretty cheap on CL. 2 sound jobs and I will consider it as having paid its share - and if I get a year our of them - each they will pay for themselves many times over.

used it last night with my drummer and he was stoked. the COOL thing is - he helps with load and set in/out, and helps with repairs when needed. I don't mind owning and using it in this capacity. The guys recognize that no PA - no work. and believe it or not.....no drama on any of it.