1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Putting together a new budget bass rig

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bubbastain, Apr 9, 2014.

1. bubbastain

bubbastain

I already have a Epiphone EBM4 bass tuned to open A# that I really like. I also have a Peavey Classic 120 mono tube power amp. I'm planning on getting a another VT Bass or the newer VT Bass DI if I need a hotter output going into the power amp(what do you guys think?). I also have a Boss bass OD and Verellen Big Spider fuzz. So I need to pick up a cheaply priced bass cab. I'm thinking a 4x10. I used to have a Peavey 410TVX and it sounded really good to me but was heavy as hell! I can score a Fender Rumble 410 for $130. Seem to be some good reviews here for those cabs. I need something that won't fart out on a low A#.
    Also, What can I expect volume wise from the 120 watt tube power amp? Certainly enough for playing alone at home but how about with a drummer and or a guitar player playing heavy rock/metalish stuff?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    410's are good for a budget cab buy because they're all over the place and cheap. Some of the cheaper cabs will fart out early on a low A#, though. Always best to try before you buy. VT's nice, but the pedal won't drive a power amp very loud unless you add a lot of distortion. Don't know if the VTDI will either, but they do have a preamp version of it now that will. 120w amp is a question only you can answer, but I regularly use a 100w tube amp and it can get crazy loud in a big enough cab.

3. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Relatively low wattage, cheap speaker cab, A# down tuning and you want more than bedroom levels. You need to rethink something. The A# puts you out of the small cheap rig business. The cab will be the last thing you can "cheap out" on.

4. bubbastain

bubbastain

I don't want to cheap out, but I might have to if I want to get something soon. I've read several comments here on TB from owners of the Rumble 410 saying it was a surprisingly good cab and didn't have farting issues with a low B. That's why I mentioned that cab. The Peavey 410TVX I had a few years ago I really liked and it took the notes fine. I would definitely consider one of those again since I usually see them for less than $200. About a year or so ago I had a Kustom Groove 8x10 cab that was great but a bit overkill in size and weight. I played it with a Kustom Deep End 300 SS head and a VT Bass pedal in front. Loved the tone and plenty loud for me but I'm hoping I can use the 100 watt tube power amp I already have. I'd also rather have 2 4x10's if I needed 8 speakers but a single 410 would be plenty for now. I'm certainly open to cab suggestions. If there is another cab(4x10 or other) that I could pick up in the $300 range that you guys would recommend more please let me know. Thanks

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

You might want a HPF to take care of the farting out. It will save amp power for more useful lower mids also.

Some amps have HPF built in. Some tube amps inherently filter sub lows. Some amps don't have enough power to bother big cabs. I don't know about your Peavey.

7. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

Just my 2 cents: Try out an Ampeg 410hlf cab. It's a 4x10 designed to go LOW. It's also 4 ohms, so it makes use of the power from your amp more.

I was in a band tuned to drop C and it handled it like a champ, whereas my Avatar 4x10 farted on the low C notes. You can probably pick one up used for a good price.