Q tron vs mxr82

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tony Flow MMMM, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Tony Flow MMMM

Tony Flow MMMM Supporting Member

2. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

I haven't tried the qtron, but I have owned the M82. I'd go MXR. It's designed for bass and doesn't have a lot of options you won't need. It does one thing--nail that classic funk sound to the floor--and it does that thing very, very well. If you want something with a lot of options like reverse sweeps and more, look into the Source Audio line of envelope filters. That's what I'm using now.

3. crapusername

crapusername

Disclosures:
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    I have both.
    The mxr win for me since it has the dry and fx controls. It stops your sound totally disappearing and means you can blend as little or as much quack as you wish

4. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Not even close; get the MXR. The Q Tron isn't even on the same field as far as usability and tone are concerned.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Tony Flow MMMM

For the record I already run a blender pedsl.

7. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

I'm a bit in a love/hate relationship with my q-tron+... Sounds really cool with an OD in front (I use an octaver OD) but it's dang hard to dial in a tone you like and NOT lose it shortly afterwards lol. Lots of finetuning. So many options but to me most don't sound that good, but the sounds that are great also sit well in a mix in my experience.

So in a studio setting I'd go with the q but the usability would kill it foR me in live settings.

8. Tractorr

Tractorr Supporting Member

Media:
    I have the MXR and I don't know if I am an idiot or what but I feel like it only has one good sound in it. Maybe it is just what I like but I feel like I have used other filter pedals where I can get more usable sounds.

Let me be clear that one sound is really really good but it doesn't do a universe of sounds. I guess if you need that get the Source Audio.

9. fasto

fasto

I sold my Q-Tron+ because it was hard till nearly impossible to find good settings and i hate the volume spike. I kept the MXR pedal and it is a very good envelope filter for bass. I donĀ“t own the Source Audio BEF but for me it sounds too digital without a dirt pedal before.

10. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

I owned the MXR for about 18 months and now have a Micro Q-Tron. I sold the MXR because I just wanted something different, but there are a lot more band-usable settings on that pedal compared to the Micro Q-Tron. If you really want to choose between of those 2 pedals, I'd also go with MXR. The Q-Tron is a fun pedal, but it does take a bit of time to get it right and bass-wise, one could almost consider it a one-trick pony.

11. Swift713

Swift713

I've had the Qtron and the Qtron+ and I loved them both. I keep reading about people having trouble reigning them in etc but I found a good compressor right after the filter works wonders. Other filters I've tried felt rather tame compared to the Qtrons. I found for the most part I had one setting that I used and varied my playing to get different responses.

12. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

I had an Source Audio BEF before, too. Honestly, it had some really cool tones on it that were useable in a number of different styles and jams, but the thing was just too hard to cut through a mix with. It also seemed a hair cheap in terms of quality. Don't get me wrong, it never let me down, but something physical about it just said, "this thing will break on you when you least expect it to."

13. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

I've owned several different models of the Ehx Qtron, including the + model, as well as the MXR, and several "other" filter pedals. To my ears, the MXR blows them all away. It has exactly the controls you need to get a good envelope filter sound with any bass guitar. There were other pedals I had that were even more tweakable, with up and down filter sweep options, but the MXR is just perfect, even without those features.

14. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

I agree. It does a specific thing and it does it really, really well.

15. Tony Flow MMMM

Well I got the q tron. Didn't have time to an them today. It just screams funk in looks and sound. If I'm unhappy ill get the mxr.

As far as you who said the knobs move too easy.. There's only two knobs that can possibly move on their own the rest have detents it can't be THAT bad

16. Tony Flow MMMM

Well I just brought my q tron to the perfect bass and a/bed against the m82! I really wanted the 82 but the 82 seemed very bandpassy, while the q tron in LP sounded much more organic. Oh well!!

17. garmenteros

garmenteros Junkyard Scout Gold Supporting Member

I own the m82, bassballs, and qtron+. I can get any sounds I want from the m82. The bass balls is a one trick pony but what a trick it is. I can't get my qtron+ addecuate volume (huge volume drop) when I had it on my board so its going to a friend of mine to be paired with his synth.

This is the second EHX pedal with tons of controls that goes this route for me. The microsynth being the other. On a kind of related note I just bought a ravish sitar and really want to use it and not end up buying it. That said the bass muff and bassballs are pedals that will hopefully die with me. Great at what they do.