1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Q-tuner Production Update

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TapyTap, Mar 27, 2011.

1. TapyTap

TapyTap

Apr 26, 2005
    From the Welcome page:

Update: March 26th 2011. The shop section of Q-tuner.com will remain closed for a while. If everything proceeds according to plan, we'll reopen next year. In all probability, the current range of products will be replaced by the second generation Q-tuner. The second generation Q-tuner represents a true technical break-through for being the first all passive "smart" pickup. A patent application including a robust claim tree will be filed within a measurable time.

Q-tuners: World's first neodymium guitar and bass pickups.

2. tubby.twins

tubby.twins Amateur Pickup Reviewer Gold Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Oregon
    OK, now I'm intrigued.

3. Yep... Erno's been working on next-gen Qs for a while now. Definitely curious!

4. TapyTap

TapyTap

Apr 26, 2005
    Tubby.twins and 12bass...thanks for chiming in! Your audio clips, photos, and Q-tuner experiences have been much appreciated!

Personally, I'd be thrilled if Erno would produce the original Qs again, and I can only imagine how he will tweak the first generation. An all passive "smart" pickup sounds most interesting.

5. m.oreilly

m.oreilly

Jul 5, 2006
    Ukiah, CA
    i dunno...erno's new stuff is kinda creepin' me out...

[​IMG]

6. Needs some neodymium magnets... :smug:

7. m.oreilly

m.oreilly

Jul 5, 2006
    Ukiah, CA
    she has the newest iteration on her skullcap. so much for asking for a pup with a heady tone...

8. TapyTap

TapyTap

Apr 26, 2005
    That's a "smart" idea. :p :D

9. TapyTap

TapyTap

Apr 26, 2005
    This calls for some massively high action...or really tall frets!

10. m.oreilly

m.oreilly

Jul 5, 2006
    Ukiah, CA
    that's what she said...

11. T. Brookins

T. Brookins Supporting Member

Nd has gone up, and its availability has fallen. From the sound of what the website says: Neodymium is being replaced with "smart", whatever that is.

Sad to see. I really wanted a Q-tuner in the sweet spot.

12. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    The price of Neodymium magnets has gone up a little. Not too bad though. They are certainly cheaper if you get them directly from China, where they mine the stuff, but I still get them from the US.

His website still says:

"Optimized grade of neodymium"

So I don't think he's changing magnets.