QSC GX3 vs Crown XLS1000

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Black Sheep, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Black Sheep

Black Sheep Supporting Member

I have to set up a permanent PA in a smallish hall, and am looking at these two amps. There are some feature differences, but does anyone have opinions on the choice? The rack is close to the seating area so quieter is much better. I'm tempted to go with the Crown as it is a tidy size, but the QSC is listed with a variable speed fan, that perhaps is more quiet? That would be important.
    I don't think the additional features of the Crown will be needed. Also this will likely have to be mounted vertically so hopefully the function and heat-rejection will be OK.

2. Big_Daws

Big_Daws

the crown will run considerably more cool and more efficiently. so heat wont be as much of an issue with it. BUT if your power source is dirty, you could open a world of pain with ground noise etc. whilst the GX3 isn't immune to ground noise, it won't be quite as vulnerable to (theoretically) due to amplifier classes.

personally i think the crown will be a better choice

3. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    Crown all the way. Realiabilty, power, features.

4. Black Sheep

Power quality is good at the site. Perhaps down the road the features of the Crown will come in handy. Reliability is important. Noise is, too. Hopefully the Crowns have quiet fans.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Big_Daws

Big_Daws

crowns are quiet

7. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Very quiet. By sheer luck, I was able to pick up 4 Crown XLS Drivecores as replacements for my now-gone lead sleds. I'm able to use one as a "bedroom" amp at very low settings with virtually no extraneous noise: fan, hum, etc. In all fairness, the QSC series is no slouch although I've no firsthand experience with the GX models. I think it's safe to say you can't go wrong with either.

Riis

8. Keithwah

Keithwah Supporting Member

I've sold literally hundreds of crowns and literally thousands of QSC amps. I have seen many crowns on the service bench on their own due to spotty quality control issues with their Off shore products. I have seen one QSC on the bench. Ever.

The GX's while certainly not the CX or Power Light stuff is very solid and reliable. It will perform easily as well as the Crown and it stands a better chance of lasting longer s well.

9. Black Sheep

Probably a toss up, for the application. I realize I am at the bottom of the market for getting a pro-level amp, but that's what I'm working with. I'm going to be doing a little more on speakers, as I'm looking at using JBL CBT speakers.

10. srxplayer

srxplayer

+1

The QSC may not be as light and it doesn't have the speaker processing but it's built like a tank and my money is on the QSC oulasting the Crown.

11. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Here's what I can say about my XLS1500 Drivecore amps. I've run them wide open at gig volume and for rehearsals. They've never even been hot. I think we have yet to see how well the Drivecore amps last. I hope to be pleasantly surprised and still using them, years from now. I haven't read a bad performance review on the Drivecore amps yet.

12. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

I have no experience with the XLS, but I have an XTi2000 that's a top notch piece of gear. I also have a couple of the QSCs. A GX5 and a GX7. Both are solid, reliable and quiet.

13. DigitalMan

DigitalMan

I had the QSC and returned it in favor of the Crown (1500). Possibly just me, but with no input signal the QSC had a very distinct sibilant hum whereas the Crown seems far more quiet. Something about speakers when they aren't producing sound but give the impression that something very loud is about to happen that turns me off.

14. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Crown for me. I have a XLS2500 and an XLS1000 coming. Lightweight and feature laden. I love that crossover network built in!

15. Black Sheep

I'm going Crown for a few reasons. I appreciate the comments. Thanks for chiming in, guys.

16. themacinator

themacinator Always looking for the perfect gig Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Babicz FCH Hardware
    I run two GX5's in my PA. We play about 100 shows a year. Never a problem. No experience with Crown amps but I can vouch for QSC, quality gear.