QSC K series help me decide. K10 or K12

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by DeepSouth, Feb 17, 2013.

1. DeepSouth

DeepSouth

For smaller to med sized rooms. I'd like to just be able to run two of the powered tops as the only PA.

The K10 has a 90' spread and I was thinking if I sat them right against the wall behind the band we would not even need monitors.

The K12 has a 75' spread and supposedly more bass. I have not been able to do a side by side to compare. And I would probly need a monitor since the 12 is more directional.

Also I have seen posted in several places that the K10 is the better match for the K sub if I decide I need one later on.

As far as music we do the road house dive bar set mixture of country, classic rock n blues. No need for booty music low end. I plan to run three vocals and maybe the kick drum into the pa, thats it.

So what you guys think. I'm leaning towards the K10's atm but that changes from min to min.

2. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Depends how much of the kick drum you're planning to have the QSC's carry, how big your mid-sized rooms are, and how much get-down y'all inspire w/ your road-house revivals.

If you're trying to cover a mid-sized crowd that's there to dance, I wouldn't think the K10s would be enough to carry the kick. OTOH, mid-sized room and roadhouse say subs to me.

I'd also look twice at your plan for monitors. At coffee-house volumes, sure. But if the PA is loud enough to need the kick mic'ed, having the mains behind the band can make for a long night full of the least festive kinds of shrieking and howling.

3. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

I like the narrower dispersion of the K12's, which is especially beneficial if you need to use them as monitors. They pair just fine with subs using the "EXT SUB" setting although I still prefer to use a proper external x-over. The K10 is a very nice sounding speaker but I can't think of a reason (besides cost) that I wouldn't prefer to use a K12 instead. YMMV

4. Big_Daws

Big_Daws

don't get them...get JBL PRX612, or Mackie HD1221...i got nothing against the k-series personally. i just think that for your style of music these would be a much better sounding fit.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Holdsg

Holdsg If its got strings, and sings, I'm interested Supporting Member

I use 2 K12s as mains and 2 K10s for monitors in my current setup (5-piece CR cover band). When not used as PA, I use the K12s as stand-alone keyboard amps, they put out much more umph than the k10s, they just do.

7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

yeah, K10s+no subs+kick drum+"roadhouse" ≠ win.

8. c2thej2theizzo

c2thej2theizzo

one thought, -watch ur levels if you plan on putting powerful speakers like that behind ur microphones. other than that go with 12's . only a little more $, and if you ever need a little more bass for outdoor gigs etc... you'll notice the difference in low end production - its worth the small amount of extra space and weight it takes up and at around 1000W. It appears for what you do, you may not need to get subs at all.

9. DeepSouth

DeepSouth

Thx for the feedback guys. The K12's are now pulling into the lead.

10. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Supporting Member

One more thing: do NOT put your mains behind the band...unless you enjoy constantly fighting feedback.

My vote for K12s as well.

11. Jason Sypher

Jason Sypher

I would not recommend this set up. My experience with monitors as amps is that you don't get the tight sound that you need for the band to hear you properly. The whole dispersion aspect of the monitors ends up spreading the sound around the room except where you need it, onstage. There are so many great amps that are small and powerful that actually do the job of amplifying the bass better. Believe me, I tried it on large stages and small clubs.

12. modulusman

modulusman

:confused: They OP is buying these for a PA for vocals.

13. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

The K12's are worth the extra $$. The low end alone without a sub is pretty amazing. For monitors, the K10's are fabulous. I put bass and kick through them, and they do just fine. (very little eq needed IMO) As far as looking into the K-sub, save a bit more and go with the KW181. You'll be glad you did!
    A little disclaimer, we use K12's and KW181's for mains and K10's and IEM for monitors. In large rooms, 300+, we use KW153's with the 181's. The band works for a living and believe me, we would not compromise. The system has to be reliable, easy to load in/out, easy to set up, and sound good in any situation. The QSC's get it done....

14. uhdinator

uhdinator

+1 for PRX612m or PRX615m.
    Lighter weight too.

Putting PA speakers behind you will not work with any PA cabs.

15. Jason Sypher

Jason Sypher

Oops. Sorry. Just assumed we were talking bass...carry on

16. modulusman

modulusman

It depends on the gig. In the last couple of years I have been in a situation where we did it 4 times. If the band can keep the onstage volume down it can work.

17. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

yeah, at coffeehouse or "family restaurant" volumes it can work; forget doing actual rock music that way though.

18. Blue

Blue

RE the EQ: That's not been my experience. The K10's are pretty bright and I use to have a lot of feedback issues until I was able to Pink Noise them and now have them flattened out and they - then - do-do a GREAT job as monitors.

19. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    just picked up 3 prx 612m's to use as floor mon's. Thinking that foam wedges willsort out the angle on small stages.

20. jad

jad

If JBL is truthful about the coverage angles, then you don't need to worry about propping them up. I did the math once and learned that if you're 6 feet tall, you can stand as close as 18 or 20 inches from them and still be in the sweet spot. I tried it before I believed it. They look like they're pointed at your knees, but they sound fine. Check it out and let me know what you think.

21. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    I'll give that a shot. Just for the relevance to the main thrust of this thread, I run K10's and a single K sub as mains. I like that setup a lot! The K Sub would be limiting only if you have extreme volume requirements or are doing hip hop. For my blues, country and vocal pop settings it works really well. Clean, tight and punchy low end. I may give the 612's a run as mains and K10's as monitors at some point just to see how they compare.