1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

qtron+ custom volume drop, no spike mod

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TOOL460002, Aug 9, 2009.

1. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

i did exactly one search, so sorry if this is redundant...

i love the qtron+. its wet. its awesome. its volume spike and clipping are no so awesome. has anyone done a custom mod to reduce this? i mean, as best i can figure, running a volume reducer after might solve part of this, maybe not. anyway ideas? the qtron+ is cheap, so a custom mod may not put it over the top.
  2. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

get a limiter to run after the qtron. cheaper than a mod, anyway
  3. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Or run the limiter in the loop. Anything with a volume output level knob will work.
  4. TheMutt

TheMutt

Disclosures:
    Operations and Warehouse, Guitar Center Rancho Cucamonga
    +1 for a limiter/compressor. I used to own a QTron (large trapezoid) in the past and loved how wet the filter was. Unfortunately, the volume spikes were an issue. I placed a compressor after it and the problem was solved.

I'm sure you might be able to find a mod for it; but the time and money involved might not be worth it to you, and you might want to think about trying some other filters.

I later sold my QTron and tried out many many different filters, originally because of the large size of the QTron, and finally ended up with one that I am happy with (Barge Concepts Grinder). Sadly, it's not much smaller than the QTron. :p

edit: also, running anything with a volume knob in the loop of your QTron+ will affect the overall volume output. It works just like that on my Grinder. :) I haven't tried it, but you might try just a simple volume knob installed in a box with jacks. ;) (or the EHX Signal Pad)
  5. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

How does the grinder compare to the Qtron's wetness and quakyness?
  6. *insertcoolname

*insertcoolname Supporting Member

There's one mod I can think of. It's called the replacetheqtronwiththeebsbassiq mod. Worked very well for my micro qtron.

On a serious note, I do have the micro Q-tron and it is very wet and funky. It has the same huge volume spike issue that the other models are known for. Even after giving the trim pot a turn (which did help noticeably) it still was boosting the volume a touch. I've found the EBS bassIq to be just a funky in the Hi-Q mode and it easily solves the size issue. No volume boost either.
  7. TheMutt

TheMutt

Disclosures:
    Operations and Warehouse, Guitar Center Rancho Cucamonga
    Depending on where the color, attack, decay, depth, blend, and sweep range (controlled by a combination of two controls) it can be freakishly quacky, or mellow. Not quite as wet as the QTron, but also doesn't have as much of a problem with volume spikes.

edit: I'd say the sound clips on the Barge Concepts site are pretty representative of how this filter sounds when played moderately.
  8. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Disclosures:
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    I found that using a compressor or limiter after an envelope filter can also bring out a lot of the subtleties of the filter. That said I wish I had and knew how to use a compressor when I owned a Q-Tron.
  9. NickD

NickD

Hi,

In answer to your question.....

Coincidentally, just finally got round to finishing this mod on my Qtron literally last night!
    10k log pot on effect only output to tame or boost volume if required. Also wired led on the switch to indicate effect on/off, with a nice green led!
    Like you, love the effect itself, but the issues of volume spike & not knowing when the effect was visibly on/off; were making it virtually impractical to use live.
    Previously tried the limiter/compressor afterwards as suggested above, but this (to me) takes away something away from the effect itself.

Some more info on Qtron volume fix here: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=7354.0
    Hope this helps...

It's great now IMO, definitely recommend this mod to a Qtron !:)
    Will eventually get round to changing the knob for a matching EHX one....

[​IMG][/IMG]

Cheers
  10. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

wow. thanks. i think that was the answer i was looking for. there are a couple other things im kicking around in my head, but that seems like a darn good fit.
  11. selfblessed

selfblessed

Seems like a cheap fix too. Plus one less pedal hogging up precious space on the old pedal board. The way I see it if you need another pedal to tame a pedal, a mod...if available is way worth it.
  12. bassbmx

bassbmx

I'm running a Boss Bass Limiter after mine and it sorts it all out perfectly. They go for pretty cheap and you're obviously not just restricted to using it on the Q-tron. There's the Guyatone ST-2 (I think) that is cheap too.
  13. selfblessed

selfblessed

I would like to add that modding/building pedals is fun.
  14. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

hehe... yeah, i recently made friends with a fellow with some electronics skills, so i would have some direction. i can solder cables and the like. i am a pen and ink artist, so i know i have an eye for detail (which may or may not translate). i guess the point is that id like to take this project on as my first attempt, especially since one of the xo models is pretty cheap used.

i also spoke with a custom builder regarding getting a custom pedal with a mid scoop up front into a meatball into a qtron+ (they balance INSANELY well) with a loop that would insert a pedal between them. this will be my first step. a custom looper with those two pedals separate with the insert "loop" might be easier, but i want one, so... yeah, i just want that.
  15. NickD

NickD

No worries.
    It is an easy mod, literally resoldering one wire (effect O/P) from the switch onto a pot, then a (new) wire from the middle leg of the pot back on the switch - hope that's understandable(?)
    A piece of piss to do, as we sometimes say here in the UK. :)

If you dont want an extra hole in the pedal for the pot, you could use a resistor of the right value to balance the level, but I wanted the option of being able to boost if required. With pot about halfway, level is pretty much equal with dry signal.
  16. RCCollins

Cool mod - but I'd still rathewr have a limiter than just volume control.

If you use a limiter properly you can end up hearing a lot more of the filter's color
  17. NickD

NickD

That's interesting to me. I occaisionally use compressor & (not so much) limiter myself mainly for 'squashing' effect, not all the time as I tend to personally prefer uncompressed tone - like the bass to breathe a bit.
    Just wondering what benefit you'd get from limiting the Qtron's spikes as opposed to manually attentuating them with a level control? :eyebrow:
  18. RCCollins

well first of all, you get more consistent volume. Lower the output level and not only is the volume spike reduced, but your overall playing volume is reduced too. This is NOT an acceptable compromise for me. To be honest I don't think it's an improvement at all.

When you use a limiter after an envelope filter, the level is smoothed out somewhat without making your quiet playing inaudible, and the reduced volume spike actually makes the detail of the resonant filter more audible, as you are not distracted by an overwhelming volume increase
  19. NickD

NickD

You make some interesting points here - now see where you're coming from.
    I don't actually bring the level so far down on my Qtron, as you say there is quite an inherent differential between the spike & what's beneath it. I still like it to peak slightly in the mix. It's not as though I'm actually bringing it down so much, more moderately taming it, I guess.

Will try a limiter afterwards again as per method you describe at next rehearsal. Not sure I'm totally convinced at this stage, but will definitely give it a go - very interested.
    However, still glad I modded Qtron! :p

Thanks
  20. fasto

fasto

is this mod also good for the Q-Tron+ ? I also experience volume spikes .... not nice.