Quad Coil Bartolini Question.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tylerwylie, Dec 15, 2013.

1. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

The one I have coming in is a 4 conductor pickup, not the 6.

If I were to want to wire a push pull pot or a 3 way switch, will it be possible to use it in single coil mode in a way that's hum cancelling?

I'm not positive how the 4 coils are laid out, or will it be like a P pickup? If the "Single Coil Mode(which is really dual coil right?) were hum cancelling, I'd like to use a push/pull Parallel / Single Coil or with a 3 way switch Parallel / Single / Series
  2. mmbongo

mmbongo I like turtles. Supporting Member

3. tylerwylie

Yea I've seen that for the 6 conductor pickup, this one is a 4 conductor so that's why I'm wondering if the 2 "reverse P's" configuration still holds true.
  4. JustForSport

JustForSport

Have a look at this diagram that I saved from Bart's site-
    it is for the 4 cd wired quads that are 2 inline humbucking sc's.
    It may help.

Attached Files:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tubby.twins

tubby.twins Amateur Pickup Reviewer Gold Supporting Member

Tyler, which model did you order?

I think the 4-conductor quad coil pickups were actually inline, not offset (P-style). I tested some a few years back, and did a "tap test" and I think it was inline.

Let me dig through my parts bin, see if I still have one, and try to confirm that. :)
  7. tylerwylie

It's the EMG 40 sized quad coil deep tone humbucker. Bartolini XXM45C-T
  8. tubby.twins

OK. I just tested a 4-conductor model XXP25C (P2 sized) quad-coil deep tone humbucker, and it was definitely inline, not offset.

I also found a 4-conductor "CX" armature quad-coil pickup in the parts bin, and it also tested as inline. It was EMG 40 shape though, and it had 8 lugs on the back with little jumpers between two of them, so it sort of looked similar to the back of the 6-conductor pickup in the diagram. It probably could be rewired as two offset coils, but I have no idea if they would be hum-cancelling.
  9. tylerwylie

So you think if I were to use this and have the tech wire it up with single/dual coil modes the single coil would be humcanceling?
  10. tubby.twins

Yep, since it's the quad-coil model, I can pretty much guarantee it would be hum-cancelling in all configs, including "single" on either side.
  11. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

tubby.twins, I'll dig out that diagram you sent me several years ago for wiring a quad-coil into many configurations.

Edit: Found it. along with my own variant which expands on the wirings somewhat.

I still haven't put it into practice despite you sending that to me nearly four years ago. :oops: I'm waiting for the time when a friend and I can finalize a twelve-coil pickup (a Wal-like pickup design), and I'd planned ahead and made sure we can then wire it up to a five-position rotary with this wiring. A
  12. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - DR strings - Sadowsky - Genz Benz
    In my experience and knowledge the only Bart quad humcan in sc are the musicman.
    All others are not humcan (but as always I can be wrong)
  13. tylerwylie

Thank you. I think I'm going to get 2 of the quad coils installed and some sort of switch or push/pull arrangement
  14. maurilio

Disclosures:
    well, again, I used those quad coil and in sc they were not humcan. Very little hum, tho.
    Bill (Bartolini) explain me that the quad coil was designed for wide strings spacing because his dual coil would not work very well with that spread…..
  15. tylerwylie

Ah, the quad coil says 64 to 80mm spacing and mine is 66 (16.5 at the bridge) so should work just fine I think.
  16. maurilio

Disclosures:
    not sure what you mean with that, but the point is that even though they are quad coil, they are not humcan when in sc…..

again, that's my experience and Bill's words…. it might be that some custom model are/have been made to work as humcan…. I have no record/knowledge of that.

IME, when I used those qc, there was very little noise when in sc

My suggestion is, try and you'll see…. at the end it isn't a big deal! :)
  17. JustForSport

JustForSport

One way to see (w/out install) is to do a polarity test- whether front and rear high side (or low side) is same polarity. That should make high side opposite polarity from low side.
    If so, then sc config should be hum canceling as the dc's are.
    If not, then P/ rev P config will be the only hum canceling config.
  18. tylerwylie

I'll get to give it a shot, since it's a 4 conductor cable and not a 6 conductor cable I was thinking maybe the 2 single coils are wired internally, so if you were to do what would normally on a dual coil pickup be "single coil" on the quad coil you would get "dual coil" mode and then if that were true would there be some degree of hum cancelling since from what was mentioned previously they are inline dual coils not offset split ones like a P shape.

Going to see how it sounds in quad coil mode before I install a switch to go between front coils / all coils / rear coils.