Quad of 10s vs. Pair of 12s

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by shoesandbasses, Feb 2, 2014.

1. shoesandbasses

shoesandbasses Supporting Member

Happy Super Bowl TBers!

Before we all get drunk on chicken wings, I was wondering if one of you bust a myth for me.

I currently use 2 210 cabs (4X10 total), because sometimes I don't need all of the stage volume of the 4 speakers.

I was told once, and I'm not sure if they actually knew what they were talking about, that I would be able to find a pair of 112 cabs that I could use as a single cab (smaller gigs or rehearsal) or as a stack. I was told that I would be able to find some that had great low freq response (e.g. wont take a **** on my B string) and could move a lot of air.

I'm open to all 112 cabs, price range isn't the problem right now; I'm not going to settle for bargain amps. But so far I've looked into the Bergantino CN112 and the Hartke HX112 (price point comparison of $399 each to $800 each).

So is it true that I will have similar sounds coming from 2 112 cabs instead of my 2 210 cabs? Is it worth it to make the switch to the neo 112's to save space and quit carrying around the 210 cabs?

2. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Difference doesn't come from the speaker diameter, so it all comes down to the specific cabs.

3. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

Exactly.
    Not all cabs and speakers are created equal. Some speakers have better low end response, some are more efficient, cabs are different volumes with different port sizes, some are sealed, the list goes on.
    All this is on a cab-to-cab basis, and you won't be able to definitly tell which cab is better judging solely on stats (obviously if the wattage is 10x more... you know) most of the time.

Besides, if your current rig pleases you and the band, why bother with new gear?

4. Cirk

Cirk

The amount of air being moved depends on the specific driver and its interaction with the cab. Given the right driver and cab, sure, it's possible.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

This....

I ditched my old SWR Goliath II 4x10 due to throwing out my back once when I moved it. I had had enough. I went with a fEARful 12/6 and would add a 12/sub when I needed a little more. Never looked back. My 12/6 covers 90% of my gigs. (blues/classic rock) Now fEARfuls aren't for everyone, but I swear by them. Look at whatever smaller, lighter, modular cabs you like. Listen to them with your gear if possible and use your ears. There are some great cabs out nowdays, just chose what's right for you.

AND GO HAWKS!!!!!:bassist:

7. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

+1 to that.
    I favor the two 210 for the above mentioned reasons.

8. shoesandbasses

shoesandbasses Supporting Member

I just though about downsizing and was wondering if it would work. Can anyone suggest some 12s that they like?

9. BGeetr169

BGeetr169 Supporting Member

Mesa PH212 is worth a try. Well built, awesome sound and pretty light. I see them used for under $500

10. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

11. andertone

andertone Supporting Member

I still get by with my Bergie mini stack, HT112/EX112, nice modular, if I need to go louder, have the classic Epifani
    T212, goes deeper. Only once I have I used all cabinets, an
    outdoor festival

12. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

A pair of good 12" cabs is the way to go. Never needed more, even on loud stages and if you live in Chicago, falling on the ice carrying a 410 might be the death of you!

:eek:

13. Killens84

Killens84 Supporting Member

I've had some very good 410 cabs before. I now have a Bergantino HD212, and wouldn't trade it for any 410 out there. It's amazing, and puts out plenty of low-end and overall volume. I know the Berg CN212's are the the hot thing right now, but I don't think you can beat the "oomph" of the ceramic speakers in the HD line. The only downside is that it's heavier than the CN. It's not a problem at all for me though.

14. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

If price isn't an issue, I'd consider a pair of Baer ML112 cabs. Or a Fearless112 pair. The list of "super 12" cabs is growing. Duke's ThunderChild cabs and new Hathor offerings. TecAmp makes great gear. I'd love to get my paws on Barefaced Gen3 cabs. Some are going to be flat and even sounding. Some will be more voiced. Play em if you can before you buy. If you have a setup that works now, don't fix it if it ain't broke.

15. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

I've used a pair of Baer ML112s for over a year. Definitely worth considering, as MonsterT said, above.

Easy cartage, and plenty of volume with a pair of "super 12s."