1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Quality Control: Fender vs. Squire

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alexlocurto, Dec 5, 2012.

1. alexlocurto

alexlocurto

Hi guys! So, I've been seeing lots of good stuff on here about Squires lately (specifically the Deluxe Active Jazz), and lots of mediocre stuff about Fender (build quality). I haven't seen the same complaints made about Squire. Are they better with their quality control? Or do people just not care because they're less expensive instruments? Or am I missing something? :confused:

2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I think Fender is really trying to elevate it's Squire line and I give them kudos for investing in quality control for that line and I really haven't heard many negative things about any recent Fender line.

3. Geroi Asfalta

Geroi Asfalta

Hit and miss. Seems more hit though from what Ive tried.

4. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

My opinion: Fender will become only MIA, And MIM will be phased out, replaced by Squire, which arguably has better instruments and QC already, and offer new products in the MIM price range.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. alexofc69

alexofc69

Basically the Squiers - especially the Vintage Modern, Classic Vibe, Deluxe and Artist models are a great value in fit and finish, quality, feel and general tone. You get a lot of bang for the buck without having to break the bank. The Afffinity is fine for a beginner.

7. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I'm concerned for Fender the custom shop stuff is great but it can't compete with Fodera,Sadowsky,F bass with their advanced designs and electronics and there is only so much you can do with the P and J design.

8. darkstorm

darkstorm

The last time I compared both. A few yrs ago. Both failed freequently for fret sprout. Rest of instrument, the amercans had a little bit better fit for rest of the intrument except fretwork. Both had the typical low qaulity to me neck joint fender is famous for.

9. wraub

wraub

Disclosures:
    I'll have an IPA, please.
    Say what you will about Squier QC, at least they can spell Squier correctly.
    ;)

wraub

10. soulman969

soulman969

Yep. How long have they made them now? 30 years or so? If people can spell it Fender and not Fedner then why is Squier so hard to get down? :confused:

MIA, MIM, MIC, MII or MIK all have their good and worse products and good and bad days on the production line but some models seem consistently superior to others in comparison. So those are the ones we tout and most people buy.

For example I'd say the Squier CV line exceeds the MIM Standard line but the MIM Classic Player Guitars are superior to the CVs and even a lot of the MIA models and the Road Worn Basses get a lot of love too.

I don't believe there's anything wrong with the QC in Corona I just don't think a lot of that product is worth as much more as they ask for it based on the small differences in quality of some of their other lines. But that's me and I'm a "value buyer".

I don't care what name is on the headstock. That's not the part of the instrument I play. It's the rest I care about.

11. dtripoli

dtripoli

Simple, the common language spelling is 'squire' as in knight, lord, prince, etc.
    Also, spellcheck corrects 'squier' to the "correct" English spelling of 'squire', even here on TB. I know the correct spelling but misspell it all the time or forget to override spellcheck

12. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

Them Skwires is gettin' better n better wit QC everday. I mean sure once in a while you find a small finger in a pickup or control cavity but it's no big deal, if you just leave it there it helps with shielding. :p

13. soulman969

soulman969

Agreed to completely but can't the word Squier (with that spelling) also be put into a Spell Check Dictionary? It is in mine and I never have to override it. Just wondering why it's done so often is all. Inquiring minds and all that. ;)

14. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

The Squier line is pretty amazing for the money.

The 2012 American Standards are simply superb. I would argue that they are the best Fender Basses ever made. I don't think I've seen anyone with issues on a 2012 yet (though I sure some have).

The 2008-2011 are also very nice, but I am convinced that the quality is better and much more consistent than ever before in Fender history with the 2012s.

Try one.

15. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much Supporting Member

It's all about what you get for your money. For most people, expectations are lowered when they spend 1/5 of the price. I bought a Squier P Special for £90, used. I think it's a fantastic bass. Would I tolerate the slightly scratchy pots, noisy J pickup and flimsy-feeling tuners in a new MIA Fender? Not a chance. But I know that I got good value for money with the Squier.

16. Labi

Labi

If you can't fight them, join them :)

[​IMG]

17. alexlocurto

alexlocurto

When I typed in Squier, it got hit by spellcheck. :p

18. tdub0199

tdub0199

just highlight the word and right click and then click on add to dictionary....

19. Wallace320

Wallace320

+1

Plus, Squier mispelled the word Squire, fittin' perfectly with its meaning, compared to Fender. So, with the latter standin' for
    "knight", "nobleman", the other one is the "squire", the civilian.

Anyway
    Fender/Squier is improvin' its QC all over its range of products
    If American made are nearly flawless
    So Classic Vibes are nearly flawless...
    MIM standards and Classic aren't, but still they're very good...
    Vintage Modified aren't flawless at all, yet they're very good...

Cheers,
    Wallace

20. Batmensch

Batmensch

Nope, Fender/Squier didn't misspell anything, that's how the guy who used to own the company before Fender bought it spelled his name, one Mr. V.C. Squier.

21. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Let's see.... I have a Squier Jazz 5 Affinity bass I bought new a little over a year ago for $220. No scratchy pots, no noisy J pickup, no flimsy feeling tuners. Fit and finish (including neck and pocket fit) and fretwork are all perfect, and no problem with any electronics or hardware.
    I also have a MIA Jazz 5 Deluxe I bought new in 2005 for $1200. Had to replace the noisy and anemic pickups and the ineffective preamp (for an additional $600) and wanted to replace the cheap sheetmetal bridge (for another $100) but never did. So now I have a really cool $1800 MIA Jazz 5 that looks and plays just as good as my $250 Squier. Yep, I'd say I got good value for the money on at least one of my purchases.
    Flash forward to 2012 - the MIA basses I've tried recently do seem to have a much better QC than the ones from just a few years ago. I think both Squier and Fender have drastically increased their build quality and unit to unit consistancy. I wouldn't hesitate too much to buy either one brand new via mail order these days. The MIM line still seems to have more variation in build quality than the others.