Quality Issueswith LaBella Tapewounds??

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Gaius46, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Gaius46

Gaius46

Based on comments I've read and having used LaBella strings on my classical guitar for years I put a set of LaBella tapewounds on my Warwick Corvette fretless 6. I love the sound and feel - I have used Fender tapewounds in the past and fell in love with the feel of those strings - but have run into some quality issues with the set I have.

Within 2 weeks of putting them on the tape began separate/crack at several points on the D string to the point of being painfully noticable when sliding a finger along the string. After asking a couple of questions that seemed aimed at determining whether I incorrectly installed or otherwise abused the string LaBella replaced it free of charge.

This morning, a little over a month after putting the strings on, the high C snapped at the ball end of the string. I tune my highest string to B so there's a hair less tension on it than it's designed for but I don't think that would be a problem - it wasn't a problem with the strings Warwick put on it from the factory (I used those for over a year).

I like the way the strings play and sound and am hoping I just got an uncharacteristically troublesome set. Anyone else have experience with these strings - good or bad?
  2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I once had an issue with a labella white tape g string. The tape became pitted and rough along the plucking area. Labella customer service was great about sending me a new one. You should contact them.