1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Quarter Pound™ for P-Bass® SPB-3 vs stock pickup in Fender Am St Precision Bass 2011

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Valentino, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Valentino

Valentino

I was wondering if the Quarter Pound™ for P-Bass® SPB-3 pickup would be a nice upgrade for my Fender American Standard Precision bass.

I play rock music fingerstyle and with pick and sometimes like to slap and pop.

How do the quarterpounder and de stock pickup differ? Is the quarterpounder 'better' than the stock pickup in your opinion?

2. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

The QP has high output, a huge bottom and lots of high end. I've heard them described as "aggressive" and I think that's accurate.

I really dig mine. As usual YMMV.

3. Deedubs

Deedubs

+1

4. Vintage Guy

Vintage Guy Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bass4me

bass4me Supporting Member

Phalex is right, it is high output. Big lows, big highs. It won't sound much like the stock pickup that's in there, but that may be what you're going for.

7. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    I HIGHLY recommend installing an all controls bypass switch for this pickup.

In one position the pickup would run through the volume and tone as normal.

In the other the pickup is connected directly to the output.

If you're like me you'll never run it through the pots again. It's REALLY opens up. Don't believe me? Hook the pickup directly to the output and then try it. It's incredible.

8. SehlraC

SehlraC

I love mine, really woke the bass up. But it's a bit too much for some people.

9. goldenglory18

goldenglory18

Disclosures:
    Your Mom.
    They are in every bass I own...

10. TheFantod

TheFantod #5 of the Pentaverate. Took Col. Sanders' spot. Supporting Member

I'll be the lone dissenter here who didn't care for them. I agree with all the previous statements about "waking up" the output, but to my ears, they lacked that distinctive p-bass "growl."

Someone here did a really good comparison between the SD's, Dimarzio's, and "Vintage Fender."

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f38/spb-3-vs-dp122-vs-62-original-410553/

I also did my own test with the same three, and came to the same conclusion. YMMV

11. 4StringShooter

4StringShooter Banned

Disclosures:
    GBX Member #1
    Bartollinis souind great in my ears. Thats what I put in my 78 Precision.

12. eight0eight

eight0eight

That comparison link should get you where you're going. I thew the SPB-3 in an SX and it sounded huge! Hotter output than a few of my active basses. I almost never touch my tone control on passive basses but I certainly did with this pickup. If I had heard these demos before I bought I probably would've picked the Dimarzio.

13. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

Seymour has a page on their site call tone comparaison chart. They assign a value between 0 and 10 to the amount of bass, mids and highs for each of their pickups. The QP is 7,4, 6. Lots of bass and highs, less mids. Scooped tone. It has been a good tool for me to understand what their pickups do.

Personnally I like their Antiquity II or SPB-1 better. The QP does not sound natural and balanced to my ears. It sounds artificial and hyped up but that's just me and pickups are really a personal thing.

The Dimarzio DP122 is a very nice pickup, I run one on one of my basses. It's a ceramic pickup so it's a completely different beast. It has very hot output, an assertive, dynamic quality and it's tonally balanced. It cuts in the mix really well. It has a 70's vibe and works well with finger playing. I would not put that on an american P bass personally but it's a nice inexpensive pickup.

With your tonal goals I would lean toward the SPB-1 for a straight upgrade or the Antiquity II to add warmth and a vintage vibe to the bass.

Note that in general any of the pickups I mentioned will be an upgrade compared to the Fender. I love Fender and it pains me to say that their stock pickups don't cut is compared to the Seymours. I've upgraded two Fender stock pickups (a 62 pickup on a 62 vintage US Reissue and a stock pickup on an American P ash body limited series) and never looked back.

14. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

If you put the QP up close to the strings then it will be aggressive sounding. I keep mine cranked way down and it sounds much closer to vintage but with a little more girth to the sound.

15. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

i have them in my matt freeman squier pbass. It can sound "scooped" in certain situations IMO but remember, pups are 1 aspect of it. Strings and have a huge role as well! I had daddario xl rounds and i wasnt happy cuz it sounded too scooped. Then i managed to get a set of the old fender 8250Ms and i saw that the mids were there. now i have daddario chromes 45-100 for about 2 days on this bass and the mids are very nice.
    I would say that these pickups bite more than anything (especially DI through podfarm). nice thick low end as well. but if I feel that its too boomy in a situation... well that's what the bass knob is for on my amp right? just cut it a little if needed.
    Still debating wether i like the spb3s or regular pbass pickups more.... for now i think the duncans are staying in this bass.

EDIT: i have 500k pots in this bass

16. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
  17. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

+1

18. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    SGD That's actually pretty cool. I didn't know that existed.

I got the idea from the back of a Bass Player about 20 years ago. This switch didn't exist. Since it's that easy you're crazy if you dont.