Queen, Adam Lambert Talk New Tour (still no John Deacon)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Richland123, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Richland123

Richland123

2. Tampabass

Tampabass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    not a rocket scientist, but I play one on TV
    Freddie dead, no John Deacon. That ain't Queen.
  3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

John Deacon retired and gave them his blessing to go on without him. I am fine without him and would see the show.
  4. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration Supporting Member

+1
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. electracoyote

electracoyote

It'll never be Queen again, and the same could be said for MANY pop rock bands.

However, Queen as an institution still deserves some tangible performance-based representation (and I don't mean the theatrical We Will Rock You production.)

I like the idea, but I don't like dumbing it down. I always thought Brian should invite a couple guest guitarists and do some of his harmony work live. A live string section and choir would be cool.

Queen have always been two very different bands: One studio, one stage. It would be awesome to see and hear them do on stage what they did in the studio.

ELO did this not too long ago, going to a full orchestra and choir (as opposed to just the two cellists, one violinist, and tapes). It sounded amazing.
  7. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Agree. Just like Keith and John dead. That ain't The Who. I'm glad Led Zeppelin didn't go down this road too much (with the exception of Live Aid and the recent reunion show).
  8. mellowinman

mellowinman Perfect for Breaking the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Adam Lambert is no Freddie Mercury.

The only singer I've ever heard do justice to Freddie's vocals was when George Michael did some songs in some of the tribute shows.

Nobody else even comes close.

Adam freaking LAMBERT?????

Not interested.
  9. mellowinman

Media:
    Albums:
    By the way, as good as George Michael was in that tribute, he said he was not good enough to replace Freddie.

Again, ADAM LAMBERT???

Queen, PLEASE give it up.
  10. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

I agree on GM completely. Some of his live work flat kills. He's an incredible singer with a voice not many could match. This from a guy who grew up a 80's metalhead that couldn't stand Wham......But you get older and have to give respect where it's due.
  11. mellowinman

Media:
    Albums:
    And just so we can remember the real thing:

12. Richland123

Richland123

I always thought Queen should hire Gary Mullen from the tribute band One Night With Queen.

I saw them live a few years ago and they were really good.

http://www.garymullenandtheworks.com/
  13. mellowinman

Media:
    Albums:
    Didn't like that at all.
  14. electracoyote

electracoyote

Nate Ruess of the band fun. was almost immediately compared to Freddie, and I think he was supposed to do some live performance with Brian and Roger.

Also, whatever happened to Marc Martel? He made a pretty big splash when people first heard him. I thought he was pretty damn good.

15. BigMarc

BigMarc

I think Adam Lambert sounds great with Queen! We rock queen songs all the time ... Hmmm maybe an opening for a great bassist... Contact me, we'll rock the fing house down!!!!!!
  16. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

I seriously think Roger Taylor and Brian May are the most important parts of Queen at this point.

Any good bass player on this forum that can read music and will play the bass parts properly can fit in with Queen as a live act.

In the studio....that's a WHOLE different thing....John Deacon would have to be the bassist/co writer/singer in the studio....whatever parts he covers in song development.

I say give Queen a whirl live with Adam Lambert....maybe bring in a few other vocalists and a backing guitarist as mentioned too.

I would pay good money to see that show!
  17. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Queen is one of my favorite bands. I saw them in 1982 with Billy Squier. I have absolutely no interest in seeing them with Adam Lambert. He is one of the most over rated singers I've ever heard. I'm not a fan of George Michael but he did a good job during the tribute show. Tom Chaplin from Keane sounds a lot like Freddie on some stuff. If he was singing with Queen I would consider seeing them.
  18. rtslinger

rtslinger

I agree I would have used GM as Freddie's replacement I too saw that tribute show and was blown away by his performance.
  19. russpurdy

russpurdy Supporting Member

Anyone remember that singer Mika? He had a minor pop tune on the charts several years ago and one of the lyrics is actually copping Freddie Mercury and replicating some harmonies. I think "Grace Kelly" was the name of the tune. Just based on that song I think he would be THE person to fill the vocal spot in Queen. He has that showtune, musical, falsetto thing down pat. The choice to go with Adam Lambert could be more about personalities meshing or about trying to appeal to a modern pop demographic. Who knows.
  20. powderfinger

powderfinger

Queen should hire Steve Perry.
  21. HolmeBass

HolmeBass Supporting Member

Media:
    George Michael is a super-talented guy, not surprised he did well with Queen. I'll have to look that up on YouTube.

Adam Lambert I am not very familiar with, but wonder if he really has the experience to be salty enough to do that gig? Or the chops. Seems like he's in maybe for name recognition, and also because he's a huge Queen fan.