1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Queen Mary Christmas Party-The Kelly Rae Band

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by BassCliff, Dec 9, 2013.

1. BassCliff

BassCliff

Seasons Greetings!

It seems it's been a while since I've posted about any of my gigs. This one was somewhat noteworthy. We played a pretty fancy-schmancy corporate Christmas party this past weekend at The Queen Mary. It's a nice boat and I've played there several times before. It has a well-deserved reputation of being the most inconvenient load-in and load-out of just about any gig in the country.

It was raining earlier in the day but turned into a nice afternoon after the clouds broke up.

[​IMG]

No, this is not a skinny red TARDIS. It's just a cool old phone booth that is now housing an ATM.

[​IMG]

Remember what I said about a difficult load in? This is the rickety old freight elevator that we have to use.

[​IMG]

It goes up one level to the R deck.

[​IMG]

Art and Mario are very glad that they made it up to the gang plank.

[​IMG]

Now we roll our stuff across the gang plank, turn left down the hallway on the port side of the ship. Of all the rooms on the ship, the room we were playing has the easiest load-in, relatively speaking.

[​IMG]

The Grand Salon is very art deco with its wood columns and art work.

[​IMG]

After hauling all our gear up from the parking lot, a workout in itself, we had to set it all up.

[​IMG]

Here's the obligatory picture of my rig on stage.

[​IMG]

Here's Kelly during our sound check. She just came from another gig. She and the rest of the band will get dolled up a little later.

[​IMG]

We're all set up and ready to go.

[​IMG]

We took a little walk around the ship to grab some supper. Here's the elevators and the Promenade deck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the obligatory view from my mic. We started with some dinner music.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the guests had dinner and a few drinks the band was able to have some fun.

This is Mario, showing off.

[​IMG]

Art, Daniel, and Kelly smiled for the camera.

[​IMG]

Here are a couple of shots of the band in action.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On a break we took a band picture. Of course, every time you take a band picture the band breaks up, or gets a new member. Hopefully that won't happen. ;)

[​IMG]

And the moment we've all been waiting for, tearing down and loading out. At least we got paid pretty good for being roadies tonight. We earned it.

[​IMG]

A good time was had by all.

I've played in other rooms on the Queen Mary where you had to go up the elevator to the gang plank, down the hall to the front of the ship, up the elevator or stairs to another deck, then back down the hallway to one of the smaller rooms. The Grand Salon room is relatively easy to get in an out of. It's a lovely venue, if not a little old and a bit dingy or damp. You always hear stories of ghosts on the ship too. You can rent a room there just like a hotel. It's a nice experience.

Thank you for looking. Break a leg everyone!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

2. Slade N

Slade N sunn #91 AZ Bands #? Supporting Member

did yall call each other and ask...what ya gonna wear tonight?

3. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

Ha! In a manner of speaking. Kelly takes care of the "band uniforms" for certain types of gigs.

BassCliff

4. davidgoldman

davidgoldman

I think you looked good. Looks like a great gig.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

That has to be a FUN gig!!

7. rust_preacher

rust_preacher

Thanks for the great story. I have visited that ship and had a drink or two there, a great piece of history.

8. tdvt

tdvt

What a venue! I am partial to deco & had no idea that the Q.M. was like that. Cool place to play.

I find it somewhat sobering to say that I visited the QM in NYC to see my grandmother off to England, on what was probably one of the last crossings, around 1962. But I was just a little guy, maybe 4, so I don't remember too much.

Thanks for the pics.

TD

9. kcole4001

kcole4001

Looks like quite a posh gig!
    I must add that the always lovely Kelly looked especially nice in that hair style.

10. electracoyote

electracoyote

Cool exterior pics. No offense, but once you're inside, it looks about like every other ballroom I've ever played in some of the most land-locked places on earth.

PS--I dig the matching wardrobe.

11. elgecko

elgecko

$100 Scullys all around! :D

12. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

You're welcome. Yes, there's a lot of history there. The Queen Mary retired to Long Beach in 1967.

http://www.queenmary.com/our-story/timeline.php

BassCliff

13. AuBassMan

AuBassMan

I always enjoy checking out your gig pics and videos. Great look and sound, and you guys look like you have a really good time!

14. bobicidal

bobicidal Supporting Member

Nice! Thank you for sharing

15. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

Hey Bob! How ya doin'? Seems you were down this way recently and didn't let me know. Shame on you! :eyebrow:

Take care,

Cliff

16. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

Your local. Just a matter of time until we meet up. I doubt that I will see you next week in Long Beach at the "Noise for Toys" Festival though?

17. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

I wasn't planning on it. Are you playing there? Do you have a webpage with your schedule? Post it here or send me a PM and I'll try to catch your band sometime. Thanks!

http://www.kellyraeband.com/
    http://www.thebuckaroostrangers.com/

BassCliff

18. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

BassCliff,
    You are in the very place now, meaning the nice venues and professional look for your band, that many other TB members would like to be. I think it is very cool that you take the time and effort to share your gig experiences with other bass players. Also, you have very good quality photos with well defined captions on them. Makes me feel like I was there with you. Thanks for the postings.

19. rust_preacher

rust_preacher

I second that wholeheartedly!

20. Slade N

Slade N sunn #91 AZ Bands #? Supporting Member

joking aside, I like the shirts, they look great

21. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

Thank you, Mr. Stewie26, and all of you for allowing me to share my fun. I appreciate the kind words. Yes, I am blessed and very fortunate to have such opportunities. I hope the same for all of you. Break a leg! :D

BassCliff